Forget Brexit (next weekend it's the real big one)

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Crowsfoot, May 5, 2018.

1. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

The 2018 Eurovision song contest of course.
    Here's the "Brentry:) "

Have a listen and post up what you think of it and we'll have a nice friendly debate about Eurovision 2018
    Plenty of other good songs in this years contest https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0639fy4?page=2 though and I'll certainly be having a good listen to them and posting up some personal favourites and tips for the winning song.

Oh our entry, I think it's a catchy little number, modern sounding and could do even better than we have for a number of years with a top half table finish!

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Does anybody still watch that heap of *rap?

retiredsparks, KIAB and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Not since Terry Wogan was castrated!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot

It's not that bad.....Is it?

5. Crowsfoot

Tel was brill at Eurovision.
    But did you know that he was friends for years with the bloke who did the French commentary for France TV and when he told Tel that he was retiring it effected Tel so much that he called time on it as well.

The reason Tel gave the public was he retired from Eurovision because the eastern bloc countries would only vote for each other, giving western countries no chance of ever winning the contest again!
    Portugal won it for the first time ever last year after some changes to the voting were made so Tel did help to get things back on track for us and make the contest watchable again.
    A good man he was indeed!

KIAB likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot

Can you believe that this is the current favourite.
    Clearly could appeal to the young un's though.

2.44 in..... is that a swear word?

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Never watched it ....load of old cobbras like most stuff on TV.
    RS

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Its a load of billabong do be dah S#%te

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Been far too political a competition for many a year. Time that the UK stopped entering in it.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Do they still have video rental shops? or should I book a forieghn holiday.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

What's even worse (in my opinion) is that the BBC pay a fortune for the broadcast rights and that as a result the UK is the major contributor. Just off to check my facts - but I'm sure I read or heard that somewhere.

Edit: The BBC is one of the five major contributors - it was four for a while. What a waste of licence payers' money!

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot

The biggest worldwide audience of any TV program Wills.
    Hey, lets not into the politics of it all just be in it for the music.

13. Crowsfoot

OK, time to stop sitting on the fence this is my prediction to win.

Should appeal to any Kid Creole and the Coconuts fans methinks.

14. Crowsfoot

Just think that by this time tomorrow we'll all be glued to the ESC final.
    However, some controversy as already kicked off in that China has now been banned from airing the contest because they censored a gay themed performance by Ireland.
    Not really what ESC is about is it?
    Also Russia have failed to qualify for the final!
    The eastern bloc grip on the contest does seem to be thankfully slipping away now.
    Good luck to SuRie for tomorrow.

15. Crowsfoot

I suppose everyone by now knows Israel are the 2018 winners with a "good message" but barmy song - which I suppose is fair enough.
    Cracking 3hrs of Saturday night entertainment though and it's already only 364 days until the next one!

What of the UK entry?
    Sadly the song hadn't got the legs for a top half table finish and in spite of Surie having her microphone snatched from her by a protester mid-song still managed to gain 48points to finish 23rd out of 25.

There's always next year and we can take some hope from Portugal who have gone from finishing 1st in last years contest to 25th claiming last place for this year.

If we want to win we next year should get Ed Sheran to do it :)!

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

We should pull out of Eurovision completely. A total waste of tv licence payers money.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

it wouldn't matter who we had singing we are never gonna win, no one likes us it as simple as that, anyway the whole thing is a load of old rot

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Even if you take political voting into account, countries that you would expect to vote for us didn't even give us 1 point.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  19. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Perhaps we should look at the wider picture of WHY nobody in Europe seems to likes us - just sayin'........

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

We should!!

When you have the answer you then can explain why we've been in the bottom half for many a years.

Crowsfoot likes this.