Frame for lowering ceiling in bathroom

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Michaelsf90, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

I am gutting my bathroom and refurbing it. The ceiling was plasterboard with textured plaster. The original ceiling is lathe and plaster and a 3 x 2 frame has lowered the ceiling. My plan is to overboard with plasterboard and then pvc cladding over that. I don't know if it's normal but when I push on the frame there is movement. It does move up and down. I'm going to add more fixings to the wood that's fixed to the brick wall. Should I have 2 rows of noggins instead of the one down the middle. Would this make it more secure? Or is it normal to have some flex?

Attached Files:

2. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

How much movement is there? it should be pretty solid.

Another run of noggins or 2 would certainly help. I'd also chuck at least one decent screw into each end of the existing noggins just in case the current nails aren't doing the job.

3. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

Its in the middle where it pushes up which is to be expected. I could try and sit some wood behind and fix it to the ceiling joist that is above but I know on frames like that it's only fixed around the perimeter. So do you suggest to add 2 rows of noggins instead of the one down the middle. Should the noggins be in line or staggered like the ones in now?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You mean the twinwall ceiling T&G cladding? I've used this several times. It weighs almost nothing. Just batten out as required and fit the cladding boards with a little grab adhesive and staples on the long edge of the groove. You don't need to worry about weight - It'll go nowhere. If fitting downlights, put a ply/chip pattress behind the PVC. I cut holes using a dremel with a spiral cutter and the centrepoint circle guide. The cladding panels are quite brittle and this technique works well.

5. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

I'm plasterboarding first then cladding to that. For the very reason of having pattresses with the spotlights. Plus the cladding has a backing and support as you say its very light and brittle