Free Standing Bath Waste and Trap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Sam, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Sam

Sam Guest

I am installing a free standing bath but have a problem with the waste and shower trap. The distance between the bottom of the bath waste outlet and the floor is only 11mm. The bath waste and trap I have is 13.5mm deep and I can obviously not cut a whole in the floor as the area under the bath is exposed. Can anyone please recommend a solution to this frustrating problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi Sam

I don't know if I fully understand your situation...

If you can route the waste under the floor you could extend the trap where it connects to the waste fitting so the trap is below the floor level?!?

You could devise a screen to fit arround the trap/waste between the bath and floor?!?

3. Sam

Sam Guest

The waste is above floor level and cannot be routed below the floor. As the bath is free standing the under bath area is visible and building a screen around the trap (and hole in floor) is unacceptable as it would look ugly. Are traps not available for this kind of installation ?

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Who did you get the bath from, most manufacturers make wastes to suit. I have fitted several from Bathstore.com who do a set of chrome or gold wastes and matching overflow as well as shrouds for the roll mounted taps. Give your local one a call and they should be able to measure a display model for you.

Also do you mean the gap is 11cm (4 1/4") as no waste will fit in 11mm!

Jason

5. why don't you put the trap under the floor and have a chrome pipe coming from the waste to the trap then the floor can be finished nicely around the chrome pipe

6. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Sam,

What about raising the floor under the bath as a feature. This way you could design it to hide all the fittings and a split level in the room might add to the aesthetic appeal that you are seeking.

DWD

7. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Sam.

I had exactly the same problem with a 'ball and claw' cast iron bath I fitted on a stripped pine floor in my last house.

I used a shallow 'P' trap (I think usually intended for showers), but this still required me to carefully chisel a 1.5cm groove in the floor to accommodate the rounded part of the 'P'.

Do it with reasonable care and, in practice, this 'botch' won't be as visible as you might think; the bottom of the bath <u>will</u> shield the view - you'd have to crawl into the bathroom on all fours to see it (so, only on a Friday night then...)

8. Sam

Sam Guest

Thankyou for all the responses.

The bath is from a company called Clearwater and was purchased from Victoria Plumb. They do bath wastes (but not traps), but nothing to overcome an 11cm (sorry, not 11mm)height from floor to bottom of bath waste. The waste has to exit above floor level and so putting the trap under the floor is not a viable solution. The bathroom is only 2.95M x 1.95M and so raisng the bath on a platform would be lost in such a small space. I guess I'm going to have to cut into the floor a little as Devil's Advocate suggested.

Thanks Again.

9. mj

mj Guest

you could make hardwood cups to suit the feet of the bath.
    approx 2x diameter of feet so they don't topple over.
    they can be fixed the floor to stop the bath moving & cut recess in the top (forstner cutter) for the feet to stand in.
    probably only needs to raise about 20mm for the trap to clear.

10. bilco

bilco New Member

You can of course site the trap away from the bath somewhat...using a running trap...surely the waste will be covered at some point?

11. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

You've got a pretty good selection of responses here!

Are you sure the trap you have is the shallowest available - it's perhaps worth a trip to a good merchants.

The one I used looked like Screwfix's 13034 'shallow bath trap', although I still had to 'groove'.

I might very well have gone for mj's idea of decorative raised pads (if I'd thought of it at the time!).

If you do find you have to go for the 'groovey' idea, don't worry, it really is more hidden under there than you might think!

12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

The only thing to watch when you raise the bath is that rolltops are normally higher than a standard bath by upto 4" so adding more height could make it difficult to get you leg over if you know what I mean.

This is the one I mentioned in my reply above, you would have to use a straight pipe after the trap to keep the pipe above floor level not the bent one shown.

http://www.bathstore.com/productmaster.asp?code=10300

Jason

13. jasonb

jasonb New Member

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

No need to use a trap at all. For these low clearance baths just use a 40mm Hep v O waste valve plus a 90 deg. knuckle adaptor. Only about 70mm clearance required. Problem solved.

15. Sam

Sam Guest

Thankyou everyone for all the positive responses. The Hep v O solution suggested by MR.T looks very interesting and is certainly now preference. Does anyone have any experience of using these valves.

16. Jahmaster

Jahmaster New Member

Hi,
    I found a solution for about £40
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p76043
    I'm not sure if i can link to TS on here!
    I just used the trap part and chucked the rest. A bit of a waste (excuse the pun) but that part was perfect.

17. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Could have used a McAlpine SM10 bath trap - need about 90mm from bottom of waste to floor.

sm10e.jpg

18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Why are people responding to a post from 2004, the guy has probaly replaced the bathroom again since he asked the question

19. Jahmaster

Jahmaster New Member

Err for other people ... In the future...
    The Internet is not just a one to one message like a letter...

20. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Didn’t look at the date. Oh well.