French Doors Facepalm. No tolerance to add a rebate - Help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Monclaire, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Monclaire

Monclaire New Member

Hi,

All I currently have the door casings and architraves on etc and was just about to fit two interior doors. I've opened them and they aren't rebated however we had set out the casing exactly to the right size. So if I rebate the doors the casing opening will be too big - What do you guys suggest?

My thoughts are to pack out the casing with 9/12mm MDF and hang the doors on that with screws long enough to grab onto the pine casing behind.

PS the current casing width for the doors is circa 1381mm and I have 686mm doors with glass panels.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Could you fit a pair maker?

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

As @WillyEckerslike says, use a pair maker, or just a plant-on rebate, or rebate both doors on the same side and let in a piece of timber on one side to form a rebate. Nicer than trying to pack out casings.

BillyBobToo likes this.
  4. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

My thoughts exactly, Mr R, as I was reading down the posts.

5. Monclaire

Monclaire New Member

Thanks for that, I didnt know what the name for those were, now I know. However they are damn expensive - looking around £68 just for one which is prefinished!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You could always remove the architrave and frame then recut the housing on the one side of the frames head to allow for the reduction in rebating the doors. More work but best finish in the long run.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

And the best suggestion so far. Nice one Jord

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Thank you kind sir, nice to see you're still around, hope you're doing well.

9. WillyEckerslike

Yes thanks Jord. All good here.
    Sadly I note that the OP hasn't been back to see your suggestion so I hope they get the results they want.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah well, one tries. Like yourself I'm winding down my input on here, the craic that used to be on here is no more as most of the trades have gone and we've answered most possible scenarios that could ever arise, halcyon days are done. Glad you're good.