French or Bifold Doors?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by John Tidesdale, Jan 25, 2021.

?

Bifold or French?

1. Bifold Doors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. French Doors

100.0%
  1. John Tidesdale

John Tidesdale New Member

I'm not looking for installation advice but advice from experience.
    I've had a couple of quotes to turn a window (1800mm wide) into an external door way and brick up our existing single side door.

The issue I've got is that they both contradicted what is best.
    In the living room, we have a sliding door, for a bigger opening which was already there.

I'm not sure whether to go with either:
    https://www.expressdoorsdirect.co.uk/patio-doors/french-patio-doors
    or
    https://www.expressdoorsdirect.co.uk/patio-doors/bifold-patio-doors

If the bifold is 1800mm, this means 3 x 600mm doors. One builder suggested this access door is a bit of a squeeze and for the amount of weeks in a year you'd have them fully open, would be better suited going for French.

Anyone with any strong opinions, as I could do with making a final decision pronto.

Thanks.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

IMHO, If the aperture is 1800mm, allowing for frame, a French door would be more suitable if you just open one door whereas the bifold will be a tight squeeze unless fully open. Don't forget , a bifold takes up quite a bit of space fully open.

John Tidesdale likes this.
  3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

When through same thought process on a 2.4 m opening a little while ago, agree with your builder, bifold look the business but for the amount of times you be able to have things wide open is it worth it.Went with french doors

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have two 2.1m openings and went with trifold doors for both. I couldn't be happier with them. They're exactly what I wanted, run smoothly and spend much more time fully opened than I ever thought they'd be ... but then I live in the warm sunny climes of Oxford. ;)

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

I went for French on my doors, glad I did. You can open one half, or both halves.
    Down in Devon, we open them up loads of time. Winter too. :D

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Six foot wide is a decent size for French doors but small and a bit pointless for bifold. I agree with the builder.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

patio doors for that opening. I'm less keen on the term "french doors" unless of course they need a good clean....

8. John Tidesdale

John Tidesdale New Member

All, thanks for the thoughts and replies.
    Think we've been persuaded for the French (or Patio) rather than the Bifold.
    I measured out 600mm and envisaged walking out of it in Winter etc - seemed a bit of an unnecessary squeeze.

Not suite sure I'll be opening them in winter though, like them Devon folk.

Thanks again.

CosD likes this.