French Plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Copper Pipe, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Copper Pipe

Copper Pipe New Member

I have to go and plumb in a kitchen in France. The system has 28mm, 16mm, 14mm and 15mm pipes in it. To run the H & C to the kitchen I need to tap off a 28mm to a 14mm. I also have to connect a 15mm to a 14mm does anyone have any ideas. I do not want to get over there and not get the parts. Thanks

2. really old boy

really old boy New Member

Check the following ideas

You may find that John Guest has connectors for this, I know they supply all over europe and hence might have connectors.

Alternatively try and search for socket formers on the web, monument tools make them. This is the old way of making joints for pipes, you might be able to adapt a 15mm socket former to go into a 14mm pipe and still form it into a socket for 15mm pipe which you can then solder, 28mm to 14mm ? Try search the Pegler/Yorkshire website for their special reducers.

Good luck

3. Copper Pipe

Copper Pipe New Member

R.O.B thanks for your reply CP

4. Why not use tube and fittings purchased in France?

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Not a lot if any 15mm copper fitted in France?? Lots of 14, 16mm & fortunately there's 22 & 28mm. Most threads are BSP.

14 goes inside 16mm & can be soldered, that's what my auld alliance chums do.

Soil pipe is mostly solvent weld & waste is mostly pushfit, with very short lenths of pipe??!!

I do lots of work in France when I'm living in my cottage there. Supplies are a nightmare, so I use Antares, two day lead time, sorted.

If you are dealing with the locals, my advice is get yourself a kilt, cause they hate the Engerlanders(Roast Beefs)..............LOL!!!

6. Ah Dick if L'Ecosse ever gets round to beating France with the oval ball then they'll hate kilt wearers to.

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Oval ball?? Do you think we Jocks & the Frogs care about Rugby??!!...............LOL!!

Rugby was a game invented in an English Public Skool & we all know what goes on in them after lights out!!! It's a poofs game!!

8. A poofs game, I don't think so.

Do you really think that one of the over paid prima donnas that dances about with a little round ball would last past the first maul or ruck without running off to mummy coz his leg hurts or he's broken a nail.

Rugby a real man's game.

You cannot beat the atmosphere of a Five Nations match in Murrayfield, absolutley fantastic. Mixed crowd - the kilt wearing gentleman in front of me was willing to share his rather nice malt despite Scotland being thrashed by the Roast Beefs.

9. Chris J

Chris J Member

Morning Guys,
    I know this is a very old post, but did you sort this? I have the same problem going from John Guest 15mm quick fit to 14mm copper.

Kind Regards
    CJ

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have swage 15mm copper to take 14mm copper., then solder, a nightmare french plumbing.

You can also use a compression fitting with 15mm olive one end & 14mm french olive other end.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Chris J

Chris J Member

I still at a loss to why JG sell in France and don't do a adapter.
    Thanks KIAB, abit on the expensive side 2 for every rad. Just seen Cedeo sell them are they trade only and how hard is it to get a trade account in France?

CJ

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is something that still baffles me.
    As I said earlier,I swage a short piece of 15mm copper pipe to take 14mm copper, then 15mm into push fit.

Une plomberie fran├žaise de cauchemar sanglant.:eek:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can't you just expand the 14mm out to 15mm

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, french pipe use to have a thinner wall thickness compared to our 15mm pipe, so less chance of splitting, it was easier to swage 15mm abit to take the 14mm pipe & braze.

And french always brazed their copper pipe, basically it's is a hard joint,whereas we solder, & that is a soft joint.

Last edited: May 4, 2017