Fresh Plaster Advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Wyreman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

3bd semi fully reboarded and skimmed.
    Family friend was brought in to get it all painted up, turns out he hasn't watered down the emulsion for a mist coat, he has just pained fresh emulsion onto the walls, then another coat when it dried, I've realised this as I popped round and he is adamant that it doesn't need a mist coat.
    I've kindly refused anymore of his work in the house.

I went back down today and the emulsion isn't yet flaking or bubbling as I'm expecting it too, it does seem to be drying OK but it's only been 2 days and it's got 2 coats to deal with.

What can I expect in the coming days? I've had someone round who said if it doesn't flake and seems to stay I should apply a layer of Zinsser to try and seal it before applying anything like silk.

Paid 5.5k for the new plaster, devastated isn't even close, any advice for me is welcome, thanks.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

What emulsion was used exactly? Astra would be the best to advise.

It may stick, it may not, only time will tell. I'd be tempted to try and sand/scrape some paint off in one location to see how well it has stuck. Some paints will stick better than others.

What kind of muppet puts full strength paint on newly plastered walls...

3. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

Tell me about it, worst part is I specifically shown him the contract emulsion for the mist coat, completely ignored me.
    It was Leylands contractor matt emulsion paint that he used, my misuses has been back down again today and it's seems to be setting OK doesn't come away with a finger nail test as of yet, I'll wait for astro to pop along.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

You might have gotten away with it. The instructions on this paint say to not thin, except on absorbent surfaces. New plaster is of course absorbent but it might adhere enough. Might.

Wyreman likes this.
  5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just a thought, I wonder if now applying a mist coat might be beneficial. Contract matt doesn't have vinyl so will absorb moisture, so applying a mist coat should allow the thinner paint to absorb into the plaster a bit and help key it better.

Wyreman likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This absence of a mist coat seems to be more common (unfortunately) than you would think as its frequently discussed on the forum

As Hans says - you may just get away with it

If it was painted a few days ago, you will know by now. The paints gonna be dry as emulsion dries within 2-4 hours generally

It either looks ok and feels ok to the touch or does the paint powder off when you brush your hand across the wall ?

Bare plaster is super thirsty and will suck the water out of the emulsion - thats why a mist coat is / should be used to seal the plaster and deal with its porosity, but .........

If the paint looks ok and isn't coming away as dry powder under your hand - dunno how but you've got away with it (* For Now *)
    I cant see it suddenly falling off the wall, flaking or bubbling

* The problem seems to be some years down the line when you come to redecorate
    The water in the new emulsion seems to loosen the previous paint as with no mist coat, its just sitting on the plaster surface with very poor adhesion

As you roller over with your new paint, the old stuff releases from the wall and wraps itself around your roller in great big long strips

How do I know this ?? :eek: :mad:

Wyreman and Hans_25 like this.
  7. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

@Hans_25 @Diydave

I've just had a painter round and he's confirmed it isn't setting as you'd want, he's going to leave it a week and then apply a valsper prime over it as he thinks that is best course of action considering its not peeling off.
    The rest of the house he's advised me to mist coat as I wanted to originally and then matt the rest.

8. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I feel like wading in on this one. @DIYDave...problem .. years down the line. A customer refused to pay for
    my painting after a wall started cracking all over as I tidied up. I found out it had been painted without
    a mist coat 11 years previous.