Fresh plaster mist then top coats

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Scabbige3, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Scabbige3

Scabbige3 New Member

Hi my extension is nearly done and never painted new plaster before. I’ve read all the info on painting new plaster with watered down contract Matt. However my plan was to do water based silk for the top coats. However today speaking to one of the tradesman that seem to do everything from plaster to painting etc, he said never use any silk at all on the walls for at least over a year. On other forums it seems people use silk after the Matt mist coat fine.

so my question is will putting water based silk on after a good Matt mist coat stop the wall from breathing or is it fine?

I really prefer silk because I hate the feel of matt(like nails on blackboard to me) and I have a little one so wipe clean in playroom is ideal.

thanks in advance for any info.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As long as the render and plaster are full dry you will be fine, any moisture trying to escape will cause the emulsion to bubble up if it contains vinyl.

With regards to your liking for silk...consider a softer look and go for a Soft Sheen finish, still washable with a milder sheen level..

Scabbige3 likes this.