Fresh plastered artex ceiling - cracks appearing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by portlanders, Dec 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. portlanders

portlanders Member

We are with a housing association, had a leak in the shower trap, so hole in lounge ceiling made to seal the trap.
    3 months on plasterer has come out and replastered and artexed that part of ceiling.
    Did this Friday, and said i could paint it on Monday.

But since Saturday, lots of cracks have appeared as the plaster has dried out.
    So we now have a crazy paving effect with cracks no more than 1mm wide.

Is this an easy fix i can do, or is it best to call the housing to sort?

Reason i would like to fix this if i can is the time it takes them to come out.
    I was thinking something like the No Nonsense fine filler from Screwfix, applied with a wet paint brush. Let that dry and then paint?

Any advice much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So he artexed over wet plaster?

portlanders and Abrickie like this.
  3. portlanders

portlanders Member

He plastered the ceiling, left for another job, came back 3 hours later, and then artexed over.

I'm guessing the cracks have appeared as the plaster underneath hadn't dried fully when he applied the artex.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

100% :(, leave it for now to dry out for a good week, the artex may fall off....but only may!
    When fully dried fill the cracks with Toupret interior filler using a finger would be the best tool. Once dry a couple of coats of emulsion should finish it off.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    portlanders likes this.
  5. portlanders

portlanders Member

Do you think this is something i can fix, or best to call the plasterer back... whenever that will be?

Thanks for your confirmation.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Up to you, it's a poor job, if you paid yes, if not contact the housing management people and include photos.

portlanders likes this.
  7. portlanders

portlanders Member

I'll contact housing as we don't pay, but if they won't come out to rectify it for a couple of months, i'm happy to sort myself, as long as it's relatively easy and cheap.
    Would like to know what i would have to do?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Inexpensive sounds far better than cheap!

Buy the powder filler as mentioned in post #4, mix to a thick paste and apply using finger, let dry overnight and paint with 2 coats of emulsion, total cost circa £25.

portlanders likes this.
  9. portlanders

portlanders Member

Sorry missed the instruction in #4. That's great, thank you.

I'll contact the housing tomorrow and if they can't sort quickly i'll get on it.

Much appreciate your help this evening, thank you

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Glad to have helped you.

portlanders and Joshuaojs like this.
  11. portlanders

portlanders Member

Just an update, went on the phone to housing, they said the plasterer took photos and it was alright then (because it was wet duh)
    So i sent them my photos.
    Plasterer will be back out today to skim over the whole lot.

Thanks again @Astramax for your help.

12. portlanders

portlanders Member

Further update -

Plasterer came scraped down the artex and skimmed over... but not happy... thinks there is damp in the ceiling.
    So leaving the skim to dry fully and see if it cracks, will take moisture reading if it has.
    Could be that part of the ceiling needs to come down and be replaced.

Since he's gone the plaster has dried, and yep crazy paving cracks appeared.... wasn't going to be a quick fix after all :(

13. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Keep us posted.

portlanders and Astramax like this.
  14. portlanders

portlanders Member

They're coming back out tomorrow to take down all part of that ceiling where the moisture readings are high, and further back to the battens.
    Then inspect all the pipework, running the shower above for a while, and if happy there are no further leaks, and it was just moist boards from the previous leak, they'll re-board, plaster, and artex.

gadget man and Hans_25 like this.
  15. portlanders

portlanders Member

All went well yesterday, ceiling came down... plenty of black mould.
    Fortunately after running the shower it showed no further leaks, so ceiling re-boarded, and now waiting for the artex to dry.

gadget man likes this.
  16. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Fingers crossed then?..:)

portlanders likes this.
  17. portlanders

portlanders Member

Woke this morning, artex all dry and no cracking.

So yeah, job done.

Thanks again for all the advice.