Freshening white gloss on interior woodwork (doors)

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Aug 4, 2021.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi Folks,

I want to freshen the white oil-based gloss on interior doors.

They were last painted about 4 or 5 years ago with Dulux Trade High Gloss Paint Pure Brilliant White.

Do I need to prime the before adding a topcoat? Or is adding another top coat of gloss, just like a second (or third) coat with a long gap between coats?

I am thinking that after a light sand and sugar soap wash, the new gloss top coat is just like adding an extra coat to what I did some years ago.

Thanks, Steve

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Will you be using water based paints this time to avoid the yellowing that happened with oil based

This detail will determine your next move !

3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I will be recoating with the same Dulux Trade High Gloss Paint Pure Brilliant White.

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

The old paint will be a good base for your oil-based gloss.
    To ensure a good bond you will need to carefully sand it with 240 or similar to remove all existing shine.

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you,

It will be simpler and easier to lightly sand (to provide a key), sugar soap wash, then a single gloss coat. Rather than what I have done in the past when there were marks and blemishes to sort before painting.

Cheers, Steve

6. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I did all of our interior doors with the same paint a few years ago, 2 coats using a good quality foam roller and they came out great.

Low light areas have inevitably yellowed slightly after a few months. It was a mistake using it inside the en-suite and downstairs toilet though, no light at all meant yellowing was unacceptable and recoating with water-based was the only solution.

7. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

One side on one door is small loo - I just have accept yellowing. I use oil based gloss as a) I like the finish and b) it is so much harder wearing than water based 'gloss'. I have tried the water based gloss, including on a door step and I found it to wear away quickly.

8. Richard Lawler

Richard Lawler New Member

The above advice is all good, add the following procedures: 1 after sanding and immediately before painting, wipe down with a mineral turps cloth (this will improve bonding), 2. followed by a Tack cloth (sticky cloth that removes all loose particles. 3. Use up to 10% turps in your paint (careful about getting runs). 4. If you have little surface air bubbles in the paintwork, these can be removed by "tipping off", a process using a clean wide brush lightly dampened with turps, and lightly dragged across the paint surface. This will give you a close to mirror finish.

9. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you for those tips Richard.

I gloss with a roller and as I don't have to cover, just give a new finsh, the thinning sounds something I will try.

Cheers, Steve

10. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

First two doors have come out a treat - ten more to go (if I counted right) :)

11. Richard Lawler

Richard Lawler New Member

Great. I'm pleased. Only other thing I can add, is that when I do doors, I remove the hardware and lay the doors on trestles. It is more work and time consuming, but guarantees results. Cheers, Richard.

12. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

All hardware removed (and cleaned). I screw extra long screw into the top and bottom to allow the door to tand upright. I have found that when I paint and leave them horizontal, that there is always dust that settles. I am able to paint in a room that I leave can closed, except for carrying in the doors and the paint paraphernalia.

I did find that as the doors are panelled, there was some minor runs from the bottom corners of the panels. Grr! I think that was aggreavated by the thinned paint.