frog up or down?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by brownballs, Sep 9, 2010.

1. brownballs

brownballs New Member

whats the right way or best way to lay bricks?

2. Guest

UP.

3. Bloke who's great

Bloke who's great New Member

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Ignore the thicko's OP!

It's sideways!

5. Very Likeable Bloke

Very Likeable Bloke New Member

Down!

down with the frogs!

AGP

Another Great Post

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

"whats the right way or best way to lay bricks?"

Cheap restaurant, lots of wine, tell 'em you've got terminal cancer......

7. yellowfunbus

yellowfunbus New Member

Frog up is stronger.

8. Catdigger

Catdigger New Member

Frog up def better, as stated its stronger and you get more of a key between courses. Also drilling into bricks laid frog down you may hit a void as all the pug does not fill the frog void.... Does not save that much pug really and is easy to level courses as you have more surface area to work with........

9. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Easier to lay frog down and uses slightly less mortar.

Frog up is slightly stronger and no voids but more difficult to spread mortar faster.

I challenge anyone who says that they can lay frog up as fast as frog down............

P.s. London brick issued a directive decades ago stating that frog down is absolutely fine and has no known problems for normal domestic brickwork on two storey work.

So there ;)

10. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Brownie,

Your first consideration should be the strength of the brickwork and if you think about it frog uppermost ensures no voids.

11. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Wot choo got against voids eh?

Some of my best memories are full of em :)

12. T

T Member

frog up is the right way, some bricks have a weather face, if layed frog down will cause problems later. frogs were formed to cheapen bricks, brickies lay em frog down if beds are tight to keep to gauge, but always frog up

13. m4rts

m4rts New Member

was taught in brickie course that first course of bricks has to be layed with frog down for supporting the rest of brick wall....

14. N. Green

N. Green New Member

Eh!??
    During this hot weather we've built 2 houses using "old looking" frogged bricks. They've got that much suction there's no way you could lay 'em frog up or you couldn't keep to gauge.
    I suppose frog up would be stronger though especially with a deep frog.
    No frogged brick is as strong, as bricks with holes in though (they all "key" together)

15. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Trust me, regardless of what is 'correct', the 'standard' way of laying them is frog down and thats from 25 years of site work and seen millions of em laid this way.

Agree that a tiny proportion of frogged bricks have a 'weathered face' and must be laid the 'proper way'.

:)

16. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Toads - in or out the hole?

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What a load of rubbish, this whole thread!

Frogs/dogs down, my ****.

How the hell can you level a brick properly like that(sitting on four edges of say ½") ?

It's madness. And you cannot possibly knock the brick down and get the correct amount of squash-out for a clean joint.

Flat bottom, makes sense.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

What a load of rubbish, this whole thread!
    Frogs/dogs down, my *.

Frogs up, my *!

[Edited by: admin]

19. chocice

chocice New Member

i would have to disagree with the standard way of laying bricks is frog down, if building control ever see it, you would have to re-do it. i know we all do it to "grind" down now and again, but it is NOT the correct way of laying bricks, its actually a bit amaturish.

20. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

I've never built a wall, but I've chopped out a hell of a lot of holes, and I'd have put money on the frogs being down. I'll take more notice now