Front Door frame lower than indoor floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tonyton, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Tonyton

Tonyton New Member

I need some advice here please. Had building extension done to my property from some builders and they've done some crazy work which I was able to fix or get around it, long story. Had to cut ties with them due to the poor job they did.

The problem now is the door they installed is lower than the screed floor. The door opens outward so theres no problem with opening. The door frame area needs finishing off and plastering but I don't know what to do with the door been lower than the indoor floor. (See pictures)
    Am I over thinking it or is this a major problem that would need re-adjustment of the door opening height so the door frame can be raised to floor level? Or do I need to fill the door opening to floor level and then get a very small custom made door that would fit the door opening and level with the floor? Also they installed the door with the latch the wrong way around, but I'm guessing this is an easy fix?

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

It’s probably possible to sort the lock and striker plate but the door is a joke. Best answer is for a new door to be made shorter and a course of bricks laid beneath it. That’s easier than trying to raise the head height which is more work.

I hope you have checked all other work as that’s terrible btw

Tonyton likes this.
  3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

What's above the door frame..can the whole thing be raised instead?

Pics of the top of the door would be good

4. Tonyton

Tonyton New Member

Ok, there is another floor above. See picture of top of door

Attached Files:

5. dray

dray Active Member

Have to ask, who measured the opening for the door?

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

it's not pretty but... I'd hack away the plaster above the door frame to expose the lintel, and see what options there are of raising it and then the door frame.

Alternative is a new custom frame and door - I guess it all comes down to price

Mark Griffiths and Tonyton like this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Raise the lintel, as long as the render can be patched in or a section redone by a competent plasterer this is the least damaging compared to an expensive new door.

Tonyton likes this.
  8. Tonyton

Tonyton New Member

Would I be able to get away with just leaving it the way it is and just finish off the plaster work around the door? So leave it as an awkward entrance and just bare with it to save me the extra work and cost or is it against regulations to have it like this?

9. Tonyton

Tonyton New Member

I got another builder to fix some of the other dodgy work they did to the extension.

With the door, should I just leave it like that? Would this be a problem?