Front Door lock confusion

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by waxingsatirical, Jul 13, 2017.

1. waxingsatirical

waxingsatirical New Member

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a new front door fitted, solid wood not UPVC. Trying to figure out what lock combination (no pun intended) I should get.

I want to be able to open the door with one key, so was thinking sash lock at the top and mortice at the bottom. None of the sash locks I've seen appear to have hold-open buttons though. By this I mean the button you get on a yale lock to stop the latch coming out. How else can you stop yourself getting locked out when you go into the front garden in your pyjamas and the door blows shut behind you?

Am I missing somthing?

2. You normally fit a pair of handles on a sashlock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

4. waxingsatirical

waxingsatirical New Member

Thanks guys. I don't really want a handle, which puts the multipoints out of the running, it's going to have one of those victorian style centre-pulling bits.

I guess I could get a night-latch on the top, and a cylinder mortice on the bottom. Would only one deadlock be enough though?

5. paul rushworth

paul rushworth New Member

Most insurance companies will only require one deadlock as long as it it is insurance rated BS3621 and BS8621 you can also get night latches that are insurance rated. most but not all ironmongers should be able to recommend one. and if you just look up either of the BS numbers you should get a list of approved locks.