Front door step advice

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jimsg, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Jimsg

Jimsg New Member

Hi all,

We recently had our porch replaced, and have been left with a much bigger drop than expected which is not in itself an issue but we do need a step or 2 which I am intending to do myself (am total novice at bricklaying so all advice welcome).

Plan is to have brick risers and paving slab treads, will work the sizes to the nearest off the shelf sizes to minimise cutting. These will be surrounded by gravel in mesh for the medium term at any rate.

My issues /concerns are that for various reasons we have the drain for the gutter running round the porch in the ground but is proud along the wall with the door, how should I approach building the step over this? Also when do I need to worry about damp and how do I prevent it?

Thanks in advance all and feel free to spell out the basics :)

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Pictures speak a 1000 words

3. Jimsg

Jimsg New Member

As requested above, photo attached had to be compressed to upload 20200717_170136_compress27.jpg

4. Jimsg

Jimsg New Member

Addition to the above the drain pipe at the house end stands higher than the edging stones of the pavement.

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Heres what I did. 50mm below the gravel area there is a 100 rain water drain and I built off that a with a concrete covering placed on top. porch.jpg