Front door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by retiredsparks, May 3, 2019.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi Guys
    Front door, facing sun. 15 years old.
    Seems to be a Fibre glass laminate type door.
    Painted 2 years ago with Sikkens Rubol etc.
    Not looking good now. scratches easily and crazing slightly.
    Have seen info about using Masonry paint on woods... and have used some on wood pillars...last year ...still looking great.
    Advice on using on this door ..without taking back to bare material !!
    cheers
    RS

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Fibreglass / UPVC door ?

Take a look at Bedec MSP paint

3. retiredsparks

Just checked with a magnet, it's actually thin steel laminate front and back with some kind of composite in middle.!!
    Also come across Owatrol E-B additive.... for masonry paints to be used on other substrates.

Used Bedec on exterior tudor beams last summer and performed very well.( altho wood itself is poor)

Is the MSP like the Sikkens waterbased ones...difficult to paint on ?

RS

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Guess on the beams you used the Barn Paint ? Lovely drop of paint and so easy to use

The MSP is water based and can get a great finish on large flat areas by using a 4” roller / everyone has their own preference here be it foam, mohair, felt, etc

But .......... MSP isn’t for metal from recollection, got some in garage but not at home

Maybe look at Dulux Metal Shield paint system ?

5. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

Hammerite smooth?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Barn paint RS. Used it on my metal garage doors a couple of years ago - still looks fresh and the they're in sun for half the day.

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. retiredsparks

Might have misled you all....the door has been painted originally I assume in high VOC type paints by manufacturer. I overpainted with water based.
    Not happy now with deterioration of the waterbased finish.
    So will be going over the waterbased stuff now on there and looking for best option for stabilisation and finish.
    Hence the Owatrol E-B additive suggestion put into the masonry paint.
    Site says its good for many surfaces but always nice to get feedback from people who have/are using stuff regularly.
    Rs

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Masonry paint for a metal laminate door ? o_O

DA Allsorts is the expert on this one I have to say but, don’t know what current forum name he goes under ..... I ain’t that clever (or bothered) :)

9. retiredsparks

From what I can gather Masonry paint is a 'water based' product.
    Owatrol E-B additive is an additive for...'water based' paints.

Bedec MSP paint says it will go on ..
    • Use on wood, MDF, metals, plastics, tiles, masonry, plaster, UPVC, galvanised steel, aluminium, copper and radiators
    • Gloss, Satin and Matt in various colours

Assume it uses something similar to Owatrol E-B additive ?...as their site says ' It can be used on plaster and masonry, wood, glass, plastic, and varnished surfaces'

But still like to know how it performs on application as i got good results with sikken inside house but a bit of a pain to get good finish.
    Rs

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Take a look at............Zinsser 'ALLCOAT' Exterior,available in gloss, satin, solvent or water base, job done! ;)
    Used the water based gloss on a garden furniture set at end of last sum......turned out a treat and at the time got extra work off the back of it. :)

11. retiredsparks

Thanks, how do they get away with voc in the solvent now.
    Which one do you recommend.
    Also is it like Bullseye 123 where its almost impossible to use due to it setting as you paint it on.
    RS

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would use the solvent gloss if you have concerns re setting whilst painting it on. After cleaning the door and a flick over with some sandybabes the Allcover is self undercoating and requires 2 coats as a finish that dries in 4 hours. Would guess the VOC levels are very low and fall well within what is allowed.

13. retiredsparks

Was looking for satin finish...and any idea about yellowing ?
    cheers
    RS

14. LEH

LEH Active Member

Allcoat has the same resin as 123, I believe, and in my experience you do have to watch out for brush marks, as it dries fast like 123, too.

retiredsparks likes this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes it is available in a satin finish and has excellent colour retention and resistance to yellowing. :)

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes MSP can be used on metals including, copper, steel, iron, lead, zinc, metal cladding etc also a good range of colours available.

17. gac1967

gac1967 Member

Zinserr allcoat is top top paint ;)