"Fugenboy" with/without masking tape ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Trialbywater, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

You use the Fugi Kit?? ........Freak! ;)

;)

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I tried the Fugennazi kit but to be honest I found it too slow, too fiddly..and then lost it anyway :)

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Here is video for you lads,one i made earlier !!!!:)

www.xpressconstruction.com/default.aspx?ItemID=fugi1&CategoryID=325

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Darn Links!

Come on Screwfix!

Get'em sorted!

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Not that impressed with someone that uses the tool to just push the silicone into a joint, the residue on either side of the joint would show up horrible marks, also the vid didn't tackle the three way corner, I knew it!

6. GKU

GKU New Member

Hmmm , must admit , its got the old "grey matter" going a bit , think I may try giving it a bit more of a go than I have done in the past , maybe a bit of perseverance on my part might see better results , I'm always willing to give different ideas a try out although I think there are certain situations where those silicon kits wont work , ie- on a bath where it has a raised lip round the ends and you cant get the tools in the space between the raised lip and the wall and behind the taps where there is little room . Still , as I said , its stirred my interest up enough to start giving it a proper go . :)

7. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

I,m one who always uses the fugenboy. It can give perfect results and in all the jobs I've looked at I've never seen silicone done as neatly as I can get it with the fugenboy.
    As with anything it takes practice to get it right, I found it a bit faffy and messy on the first few jobs, until I got my methods worked out

I always have a small tub of water/washingup liquid, then apply the silicone, use fugenboy making sure its kept wet with the liquid, then run my finger very lightly over the finished joint - this smooths out any small bumps caused by going over grout lines etc but still maintains the neat diagnol of silicone.

As to the guy who mentioned that there must be something wrong if you're using it to remove excess silicone, then he doesn't understand how the thing works. Excess silicone must be applied for it to produce neat results. Yes silicone does end up getting wasted, but thats just part of the job.

As for three way corners - verticals first, then horizontal, then again I finish off with finger.

So fugenboy is a means to an end, but a better end than using finger alone.

8. Trialbywater

Trialbywater New Member

As to the guy who mentioned that there must be something wrong if you're using it to remove excess silicone, then he doesn't understand how the thing works. Excess silicone must be applied for it to produce neat results. Yes silicone does end up getting wasted, but thats just part of the job
    <u>_________________________________</u>

As the OP that was my experience exactly, by applying pressure to the profile you were helping to force the stuff into the gap, keeping a neat bevel with any excess building up on it which could be easily removed and no adjacent wafer-thin "tramlines

9. Moto Slug

Moto Slug New Member

I have now seen three different types of silicone finisher,the Fugenboy, Karl Dahn silicone set, or the Stilifix, so which is the best one ???

10. KnockOffNigel

KnockOffNigel New Member

what a useless thread. just use yer bleedin finger and get the stuff on

11. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

If I knew how to use my computer I would photograph the last silicone I did with the Fugenboy so you could all see it. You would all shut up I can tell you :)
    Seriously guys if you are into nice results try it because it is amazing the results you can get.

I mean unbelievably good. I was literally jumping around the bathroom when I finish these joints. They are blindingly good. You can look at them even if you've done them yourself and not believe its silicone. If you have pride in your work you owe it to yourself to try this out.

If you dont want to fine, you and your clients loss.

12. mj

mj Guest

The Karl Dahm set is the best bar none.
    No need for masking tape, if used properly these tools leave a crisp clean line of silicone. They remove all the from excess from the bead, with no smearing at the edges. You also don't get the silicone ''shrinking back'' from the edges using the tools. The three way internal corner will always remain awkward for eternity :). I was converted after a good many years of using the soapy finger method.

13. Moto Slug

Moto Slug New Member

Thanks mj, what do others think is the best silicone finishing tool.

14. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

Mj is quite correct Karl Dahmn is the best one in my opinion. Used properly it gives a finish that wet finger cant touch!

15. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

Interesting thread (and the forum a whole actually, not the binfest that can be the plumbers forum..)

I too bought a Fugenboy kit few years ago, and after 1 go it got lost in toolbox number 2 somewhere, so back to old favorite.
    I feel quite proud of my 'finger' skills, but reading this thread, i thought i'd give fugen a go today (also no accident's with ingesting silicone, as not so good for you i think..!)

Certainly took longer and seemed to use more gear, but actually quite pleased with results.

I've now gone and bought the Karl Dahmn set as that got a good write up, but as the instructions are all german, whats the accepted process for use here ?

Clean and dry surface, no mask tape, silicone in, wash up liquid mix onto applicator only (?) then pull over..?

Also the Wickes Silicone..Found some of this on the van today (how did that get here..? ;) ) and read the MI - It's not actually silicone, and it says 1-2 days to dry..WTF?!
    :)

16. Rowdey

Rowdey Member

wet finger cant touch!

Used my Karl Dahmn for the first time today around a pan to the floor, and yes was better than a Fugen-shunter, and because no masking tape req'd, was quicker (and better..) than the finger..
    Good Stuff

17. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've never used masking tape when siliconing

18. Bod the Bathman

Bod the Bathman New Member

to all the finger brigade....how can you get a perfectly clean edge if you were doing the wall /floor join, and the floor tiles are black and the walls white, or some other such colour variant? your finger method would give a hazy look to the white silicon on the black tile. The fugen, or others like it, do work excellently for this type of joint between contrasting tiles.

Anyone can finger a white silicon joint between a white bath and white tile and say it looks good....

if i was going to use me finger it'd be the middle one..;-)

19. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

Must say the guys who said using a silicone tool at the start of this thread seem to have disappeared... maybe for a reason!

20. rascal2000

rascal2000 New Member

I have the fugi kit which is even better than the fugenboy. I make a point of checking out silicone joints in almost every house I go in and the results I get are by far the best, except for those that are done with the same bit of kit. It takes a bit of practice and finishing of with the soapy finger gets three way joints perfect. Just because someone once started using their finger and everyone else followed doesn't make it the best way of doing things. Would you use a hand saw when circular saw will do a better job and quicker? I don't think so!