Fugi Kit

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by billhicks, Apr 17, 2009.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

Bought one of these today, the (5) version. I must be stupid or something because I'm absolute **** with it. Just seem to end up smearing the sealant all over the place. Also, it all squidges up the grout lines so I spend more time getting it out.

Is there some special technique? The more pressure I applied the less smearing I got but there's only so much pressure one can apply.

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

My guess you're using it wrong. Hold the profiler UPRIGHT with the FLAT side in the direction of travel. It WILL smear if you use the other side. There's no need for using water as a release agent some may suggest. Have plenty of cardboard handy to wipe the profiler when it gets loaded. Only slight pressure is needed, tilt slightly to cross a grout line and once you get the knack, look forward to perfect sealing dead easy!

3. billhicks

billhicks Member

I was using the bevelled side, surely that's the side you're supposed to use no?

4. billhicks

billhicks Member

ok, I've now seen the vid. Obviously I should have used the flat side!

doh.

5. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O :^O

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

I just heard a penny drop somewhere.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hotdog has emptied his pockets :)

8. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O Well , at least you won't forget that again :^O

9. billhicks

billhicks Member

Well, I had another go with the FUGI, this time using the correct side...

and.....

I'm still useless with it, just as bad as before. Smears everywhere, tons of waste, absolute ****. Would love to see someone do it properly because I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.

If the tiles are slightly uneven or no at a perfect right angle with the horizontal surface then it just seems useless?

10. GKU

GKU New Member

After you have applied the silicon , spray it with soapy water (spray gun) then try , I have always used soapy water before "tooling" the silicon , works all the time ;)

11. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

"I have always used soapy water before "tooling" the silicon"

Ooo errr, do your customers know you're doing this?

12. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O :^O

13. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

There is no hope for some!!!

Perseverance

Practise practise and then some more practise

Rome wasn't tiled in a day

14. The Talking Donkey

The Talking Donkey New Member

I'm with you Bill, useless bit of tat. masking tape, latex glove and soapy water, much neater and faster.

15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I would have thought that he's got the hang of it after eight year's practising.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Another satisfied customer :D

If anyone else is having problems, half the battle with applying silicon, is to cut the nozzle to the correct size and angle to start with ;)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and the art is to apply it finished(need no trowelling).
    Trowelling(tool or otherwise) always leave thin spread on the wall which when cured and in use daily, roughs up and peels when cleaning/wiping.
    Masking tape nearly always leaves a slight ridge for water/dirt to sit on, or pulls a tad away from the wall when removing(when still uncured).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

CGN likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Where they are useful, is when you need to apply a hefty 'profiled' bead...difficult without them.