Fuse box after house rewire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Maeveailbhe, Feb 1, 2024.

?

Should I ask the electrician to come back to tidy this up?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

IMG_2004.jpeg I just got my house rewired. I was disappointed with how the fuse box looks, it is attached to a piece of plywood and sticks out quite far into a narrow room, I imagined it being plastered into the wall. The piece of plywood was placed onto another piece of plywood that was there that the meter was attached to, which I was told cannot be touched. Is there any way this could be made to look neater? Thanks

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I can see the electric meter, but little else. If the white square is the consumer unit, yes it looks large, and this upload_2024-2-1_2-7-50.png does not look like double insulated meter tails, and this upload_2024-2-1_2-9-26.png does not look like a junction box which requires a tool or key to access, any one could remove that tape, and green/yellow is reserved for earth wires. But to be frank most installs are not strictly to regulations, however that lump of earth tape does look wrong.

But what is in the CU? At that size you must have a huge house. But my own house not got picture which includes the CU but I seem to have a lot more than you Smart meter day one overview.jpg so compared with mine yours is neat.

Maeveailbhe likes this.
  3. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Open the door, has it been fitted sideways?

Maeveailbhe likes this.
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Won't make any comment on the electrics which may be of Rolls Royce quality for all I know, but cutting a square out of a piece of OSB shouldn't be beyond the skills of any trade.

Larry_129 and Maeveailbhe like this.
  5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What's all that earth insulation tape for? Hope it's not "insulating" a chock block. Cable's possibly outside zones. The cable "tails" to the left don't look like anything I've ever seen before, some sort of SY cable?

In a few minutes you will be told it's a consumer unit, not a fuse box, just to pre-empt things a bit and get that out of the way.

Maeveailbhe likes this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Have the meter tails been choc blocked ? Is the fuse box side ways ? I hope you got a certificate

Maeveailbhe likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

That white box - possibly some form of Henley block, maybe? If so, why not wire in it? Rather than have that mess outside?

The tails going to the right ... both blue. One has a small piece of red tape - which means? Nothing.

It is amost certainly sideways - but even then, is it level?

So pictures of teh cover open and maybe looking up behind will be enlightening?

8. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

What an absolute abortion, single core cables taped up in connector strip, "fuse box" mounted sideways for no reason on skip dived timber. If that is the sort of work left on show, I hate to think what is hidden under floors etc.

Ind spark and Bob Rathbone like this.
  9. Sparkielev

So many red flags it looks like it of fitted right way up

Bob Rathbone likes this.
  10. Tuxmark2

Tuxmark2 Screwfix Select

The CU looks level to the top of the cupboard so that's something, the OSB board looks like its been cut in a care free manner by a 5 year old wearing welding goggles and then fitted wonky. Going by the image, the CU should fit in the normal manner, unless who ever did this decided to mount it side on so his 6 inch screws did not come into contact with the cables on the far right as he mounted the CU, its the only reason I can think of.

Would like to know what's wrapped up in the tape, I've seen tails joined by over wrapping with bare 2.5 and taped up then hidden in box and then taped over so seeing this just gives me bad vibes.

Maeveailbhe likes this.
  11. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

Hello, thanks for your reply. According to the electrician, the tape is a temporary measure until the two new blue wires are connected to the meter by the Electricity supple Board. Would that be legit? Also as others have asked it’s a consumer unit. I will open it and take a photo tomorrow. Regarding the plywood, he literally said he had a spare piece in the van!

12. The tails are incorrect. They look as though they are single insulated, not insulated and sheathed.

There is no reason why he couldn't have cut the seal on the box as it is on your side of the meter and does not require the supply authority to do that, however he would be working live.

Edit: But probably was anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2024
  13. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

Attached Files:

14. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

Is this what you mean by 6 inch nails?

15. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

That’s what I thought!

16. Sparkielev

It don't matter if its temporary or not he should of fitted an isolator or Henly blocks and fitted the board the correct way

17. Sparkielev

Think the blue and brown tails are flexi tails

18. Maeveailbhe

Maeveailbhe New Member

Here is what it looked like before the consumer unit was added

Attached Files:

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What do the other tails feed? They shouldn't really be buried in the building structure like that, it's basically no longer permitted unless RCD protected or run in steel reinforced type cable.

What's the back story? Did you need a CU replacement? Did he do an EICR before starting the work? Is he registered?

20. Being retired I haven't come across them. Must look them up.

Sparkielev likes this.