Fuse box under the stairs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hoskie, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi sparkies, can anyone tell me if its permitted to move the fuse box to a different location under the starirs. Iv just opened up the understair cupbosrd to give more room and the fuse box needs moving a couple of feet to allow me to carry out the rest of my grand plan. Is it easy to do? Can you just screw it off the wall and re position it? Also there is the electric meter and economy7 fuse box that needs moving.

Cheers chaps

2. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

It's 'permitted' but NOT the sort of job an DIYer should ever attempt. Moving a 'couple of feet' will almost certainly entail extending all the cables to and from the CU. Rarely an easy job.

Moving incomers, yes they can be moved but not by you and nor by an electrician they can only be moved by your DNO/REC. And as it's inside the house the ONLY place they will move it to is outside the house (no choice) and install the cutout and meter within a 'Jewson' box. This will them mean the tails to the CU will have to be extended I would guess quite a distance in which case a fused switch will also be required.

Costs are mounting substantially.....then

You have to arrange everything when moving a income - you have to trench and expose the incoming split concentric. You have to fit the Jewson box and hockey stick. And when they hgave done their bit you have to have it all filled in (the trench).

Typically a DNO/REC will charge some £300 to 'simply' connect the old cable to new cable via a submarine connection and fit meter and cut out in Jewson box. I say 'simply' because the are brave guys they do this live!

It will take them about 1 hour to do (for £300). Reckon on some £1,000 in total to move the incomer if all is contracted - plus the cost of the CU move.

3. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Fu - ck me as complicated as that?

Box it in then and live with it me thinks

Cheers RR

4. sparkin!

sparkin! New Member

RR, give us a shout if you need me to move yours!lol:)

5. rr, so round your way you have submarine connections. Round here we use Torpidoes. Wonder which one is better

6. It is quite possible that all the cables will still reach, depending on the run. You should still get it checked out by a sparkie though, as connections could be disturbed

7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Oh blimey here we go SlipSlop - the TYPE of connection is called a submarine connection (as in Atlantic cable joiners etc) what is used to create the submarine connection is a Torpidoe as it looks a bit like one, mind it also looks a bit like a submarine as well ;)

8. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Cheers chaps. Decided to leave in situ and box in

Hoskie

9. Alex G

Alex G New Member

There is a choice, they won't insist you put the cutout in an outside box, if you want it moved a bit inside they will do it but you will have to make sure the cable route is accesable for them to get to it.