Fused Connection Unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sean_o_floinn, Oct 8, 2019 at 6:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

I have a FCU as per screenshot below that's connected to a small pump used to fill the water tank in my apartment. The water tank sits a few feet above the pump in my hot press.

I'm looking to put a dryer (condenser type) type into the little storage room(large hotpress) where the pump is.

Can the FCU be replaced with a double socket. Where I put a plug on the supply for the pump and plug this into 1 socket and I plug the condenser dryer into the other socket.

Attached Files:

2. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

This is the spec for the dryer.

Attached Files:

3. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

This is the spec for the small pump

Attached Files:

4. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

I checked the fuse in the FCU and its 5 amp

5. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

The FCU wiring

Attached Files:

6. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Replace with one of these
    upload_2019-10-9_9-42-33.png
    Keep the FCU and add a single socket

KIAB likes this.
  7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

Sean, are you in the ROI? if so they have different wiring regulations to the UK issued by the Electrotechnical Council of Ireland, if you are in NI or mainland UK it's the IEE regs. This may have an impact.

8. sean_o_floinn

sean_o_floinn New Member

Hi Tony I'm in Dublin Ireland. But I'd like to have this done technically correct, regardless of any regs.

9. Tony Goddard

Comlecs' suggestion of a double box and a single socket makes sense, it is best practice to plug high load appliances like driers into single sockets.

Worth checking what feeds the FCU, is it off a 16A or 20A breaker?

I have no knowledge of wiring practices in the ROI other than it seems to be a mixture of continental and UK practices, so not sure whether ring circuits exist or not?

10. Tony Goddard

Here lifted from another forum are some of the differences in practice that may be of interest to us mainland sparks - those in NI who straddle the border work wise will already be familiar.

you only have a 63 amp supply in domestic premises.
    you fit a european style(tiered) consumer unit which you must build.
    It has a single pole 63 amp switchfuse(the fuse screws in and out - bottle fuse)
    The neutral tail goes directly to the neutral bar.
    From the meter you can use 16mm twin and earth to supply the board.
    You can wire a ring but none of the irish sparks will.This can lead to having two different radials in one room.
    At the time all sockets and bathroom circuits needed rcd protection,the shower usually got a double pole rcd.
    Even if you have a pme supply you need to put an earth rod outside with a 10mm earthwire to the board.
    It is not permitted to use a blue conductor as a switchwire and sleeve it brown,also you cannot use 3 core and earth cable for lighting or smokes(wholesalers do not stock this and will look at you as if you have two heads if you ask for it).twin brown must be used.
    You can only use wire armour sheath as a supplementry earth,you must use 2,3 or 4 core and earth swa,
    Lighting circuits are wired in double insulated singles with or without integral earthwire.
    Be aware there are limits to the number of lights and sockets you can put on each circuitI think its 10 lights or 12 sockets