Fused Spur with more than 1 socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NullaDave, Sep 13, 2018.

1. NullaDave

NullaDave New Member

HI All,

I need to add 3 double sockets to my downstairs in order to run the multitude of TV and Audio kit I've amassed over the years but the socket I wanted to use to break into the ring turns out to be on an unfused spur. Now, I've read a few posts on here saying that there isn't actually a limit to how many sockets are added to a fused spur but the ideal solution is breaking into the ring and adding them all to the ring.

In this instance, adding to the ring isn't an option so I need to see about the fused spur as an option. My question though, is will I be blowing the fuse every time I switch on all the devices? It's obviously, a 13A fuse but there will be a TV, Soundbar, Xbox, Virgin box & Wireless router all running off those sockets so I'm concerned that will overload the fuse.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

All of that equipment has very low power requirements so running them all through a 13 amp fused spur will be fine. All the plugs will have probably 3 amp fuses anyway.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Will all of these items be close together? If so, rather than adding extra socket, you can get some good quality multi-way outlets with 10, 12, 15 sockets. Wall mount one, and either connect it to a fused spur or on a plug to an existing.

Somethink like: [​IMG]

It will, in my opinion look better than extra sockets and you have control on a single switch.

That one, which I know nothing about and chosen as an example is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagle-12-Way-Vertical-Socket-Protection-Black/dp/B01LY0P6MI however there are plenty more around.

The name I was trying to think of is OLSON - based in N. London they have hundreds of options and are excellent quality: https://olsondirect.co.uk/all-produ...ue&plug_inlet_type=146&socket_outlet_type=129

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    NullaDave likes this.