Gap between extensions

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lewis81, May 5, 2022.

1. Lewis81

Lewis81 New Member

Hi,

currently having a single rear storey extension built on a semi-detached house.

Builder is currently building up the foundation walls and has left a 200mm gap between neighbours property and the outer wall of my extension.

This isn’t how the wall looks on the planning or building reg drawings.

Will this cause me problems in sign off? Is there a reason they would choose do do this?

I will speak to them, just trying to get a general opinion first.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Roof will stick out from wall or what about gutter overhang?

3. Lewis81

Lewis81 New Member

A few pictures attached.

Attached Files:

4. Lewis81

Lewis81 New Member

I was expecting a slight gap between the extensions, but much smaller.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Plans are only a guide. Do you know where boundary is?

6. Lewis81

Lewis81 New Member

Boundary is flush with next doors extension outer wall, so would have expected a very slight gap.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Plans are drawn to scale so it should be built according to plan. That’s what you employed the builder to do

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

As JC says: you have drawings done for the builder to follow. You need to sort this right now or there is the risk of him doing his own thing whenever he feels like it.

9. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Could be to allow cross ventilation in the roof, to avoid cuts on every course of bricks or some other practical reason that wasn’t taken into account on the plans.
    Whilst you go off the plans, on site there are practicalities that may call for slight deviations.
    Cant see planning having an issue with being further from the boundary, if it was the other way round that would be cause for concern.
    Best just to ask you builder along the way of anything you’re unsure about.

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It would be even better if the builder agreed variations with the customer before making them

11. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

It’s true, communication is key to any relationship

12. JasonCSmith

JasonCSmith Member

He'll have built the edge of the foundation up to the boundary line. Wall sits centrally on that, hence the resultant gap.

Resmond likes this.
  13. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Well the neighbour didn't?

14. JasonCSmith

JasonCSmith Member

They never do. I come across this a lot. Its always the 2nd neighbour extending that's left with the problem.

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Don’t really see it as a problem to have a smaller gap..

16. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

So does that mean the neighbour built his wall at the edge of the foundation or his foundation encrouched on the OPs land

17. JasonCSmith

JasonCSmith Member

In my experience its usually found that the first neighbour has encroached by building their foundation over the boundary line to enable their wall the be right on the edge of the boundary. That then causes the second neighbour issues later on.

I came across one recently where the first neighbour's wall had been set centrally on the boundary, presumably on purpose, thus making it a party wall. That enables the second neighbour to then just built up to it and incorporate it into the build, which was great.

Ive had planners insist that walls are pulled back from the boundary to prevent eaves overhangs over the boundary.

Resmond likes this.
  18. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Doesn't there have to be a firewall/firebreak between properties in a case like this? My sister has a lean to extension and so does her attached neighbour. The extensions are joined via a "square" wall that stands higher than both roof lines.

19. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Whenever we’ve done this external wall is parapet wall, which then gets shared by neighbour when they build there’s, as a firewall and keeps guttering separate. Have done it where rebar was set in concrete for next door to join on the slab when they do their pour down the line

20. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Ah yes, parapet wall is the term I was looking for when I wrote "square" wall :)