gap between floorboards and skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Simon Allaway, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

Hi there's a gap between the floor and the skirting/ wall in my room that's about half way across and it does feel uneven to me. Ive had lots of floorboards screwed in recently and also noticed a screw that was just screwed in between a floorboard straight into a joist recently, I've moved it and tried to pull it out it's along the same joist that has the gap between the wall /boards too and feel like this may have caused an issue as the whole room doesn't feel as it did before even noticing the landing starting to move more since this happened. Shall I post a few photos or anyone advise me as to what might have happened or can anyone take a look? Im in Dagenham

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Pics would be good . Besides you telling us there is a gap between floor boards and skirting ,the rest doesn't make a lot of sense

Mark cagney likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Screwing floorboards down tight does not compromise a floor structure.

Simon Allaway likes this.
  4. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

It won't let me upload some photos it's saying files to large for some reason think ones upload

Attached Files:

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Reduce the file size. Can't tell much from that pic ,how big is the gap ?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Have you always had exposed floorboards or was there carpet down previously?

7. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

Hi mate no only recently took it out boxing day, should've been done already thad why there's carpet stuck to the skirting boards where it was painted not long ago. Id like to upload a couple more photos but will do that tomorrow , the gaps about 2cm, I also took out a fair few screws on floorboards over the room ended up putting them back in but one scree got threaded and someone tried to remove it with a special bit from screwfix attached to a hammer drill with no luck , he put quite alot of weight on that area but Its been driving me mad since. Also need to upload a photo of where the screw I was talking about is.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You never noticed the gap before because it was covered by carpet, that skirting has been like that for decades. If your property is around a hundred years old then there's a slim chance the joist ends could have rotted and dropped in one area but that would be fairly obvious when walking over the area and any cracks in the ceiling below.

9. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

I've noticed it for a while , I used to sit along where that is and since none of the floorboards were screwed down that hi especially the floorboard used to bounce where it's uneven when I got it screwed in you could notice it was raised under the carpet. Problem I've got at the moment is in the room next to mine aswell there's a couple cracks on our living room ceiling but nothing major but in that room the floorboards bounce quite Abit, doesn't feel it gt worse since I yanked the screw out of the joist the other day which is why I'm concerned it's also noticable on the landing too.

10. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

Sorry couple mistakes there, since I pulled the screw that was directly in the joist (not in any floorboards) I think it's gotten worse noticing more floorboards on the landing moving too.

11. CosD

CosD Active Member

Note
    Be extremely careful screwing the floorboards down in that there could be pipes under there!!

12. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

My room feels uneven, it's not visibly uneven it's just feeling very uneven ,. Alot of the floor boards used to dip when stepped on anyway but now it just feels horrible lol.

13. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

Pulling a screw out of a joist, whether through a floorboard or not, will not compromise the structure of the floor

14. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

Just drops slightly in certain places, it's not just the screw when someone tried to remove a threaded screw with hammer drill and special screw extractor bit with no luck they put alot of weight on the drill when they was doing it. In an area right in the middle of the room. Since then I've noticed it dropping slightly in places.

15. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Have you put a Spirit level down to check the level of the boards / room?

16. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

I haven't mate but it seems to be moving when stepping on the boards rather than it being completely uneven on the surface. Got worse on the last couple days since pulling out that one screw lol .

17. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

Removed a couple screws earlier aswell and now feels like it' more uneven now don't even know how it's possible lol if anyone would whatsapp me I can send a video of what I mean lol

18. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi, you're not going to get people sending your their mobile numbers to whatsapp or video call you, so you need to get some decent photos and or a video clip of the issue so people here can try to advise.

Like others I'm also still struggling to understand what you're trying to explain.

19. Simon Allaway

Simon Allaway New Member

File won't send on here says file too large .

20. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

so google how to reduce the file size...plenty of ways to do so