Gap between skirting and floorboard

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Naiema a, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Naiema a

Naiema a New Member

Hello, there’s roughly a 30mm gap between my skirting boards and floor that I’m trying to find easy solutions to fill without replacing the skirting. Any ideas?

I’ve tried scotia trim but as it’s such a big gap, it doesn’t provide a very nice finish. Any other types of trim/beading that I can try?
    Thanks!

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's a huge gap. Do you know what's caused it? I would be looking for answers to that if not.

Mattias22 and Astramax like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As above! :eek:

4. Naiema a

Naiema a New Member

We pulled the laminates and plastic layering off so we’d have the original floorboards instead. So definitely a very large gap.

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

I assume these aren't newly fitted? Has the gap always been there? Like Willy says thats a massive gap.

Sorry your post came in just before mine. I would remove and fit them lower if they can be taken off intact or get new skirting. You could fixing ripped skirting or architrave to the front of the old skirting and pushed down to the floor

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Phew that's solved the cause.:)

How high is the existing skirting.

A photo may promote idea's.

7. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Screenshot_20220116-131552_Gallery.jpg

I know its a bit weird looking but something along those lines

8. WillyEckerslike

One of the worst things about aftermarket laminate flooring is the use of scotia or similar beading to hide the expansion gap. You're going to have a beading with your real wood floor which will look even worserer to quote one of my children. This is solely my opinion - there's no fact involved (except the bit about beading).

It might be possible to scribe new wood into the void but even well done I fear you might always see the join so I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and remove and refit/replace the skirting.

9. Naiema a

Naiema a New Member

Thanks all, this is really helpful. I think based on the response the most seamless finish is new skirting, as you said even adding a strip of wood would be visible. Damn the big gap.

10. WillyEckerslike

Depending on your house and any other features, you might get away with using a taller skirting which might conceal any damage or marks left when you remove the current one.

11. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Agree with the above re. stripwood

Just depends how much work and effort your prepared to go for, removing current skirting replacing with new, higher skirting, its more work, expense, etc but will solve the issue

Trying to piece in timber and make an invisible join, it’s ok on a couple of metres but complete area of the room, it’s a lot of effort to get a seamless finish

Plant on strip wood to front of skirting, glue and pin it, can be square edge timber, something with a profile on top edge, look at architrave, door stop, etc, huge choice available, all off the shelf or if you can/fancy it/ run something up yourself

By the time it’s prepped and painted, will like like it’s always been that way and you will have a unique skirting profile that’s totally original :)

13. WillyEckerslike

I've just had a look at the stripwood in the link. I can buy primed skirting for less than that. Unless you cut and fit blocks into the gap under the skirting to fix the stripwood to, it's going to be vulnerable to being pushed into the recess.

Astramax likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Especially when a new carpet is fitted! :eek:

And it will need a knotting sealer over the strip wood which surprises me wasn't mentioned.:p:D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry Willy but how will a timber trim, overlapped onto original skirting (ok, I didn’t specify the overlap measurement), glued and pinned, be vulnerable to being pushed into the gap ?

Adding blocks of wood into gap sure wouldn’t be a bad thing though, and easier to achieve than fully filling the gap flush and invisible with timber

The gap is only around 30mm so not a huge amount of leverage available, well secured, even a knock from the Hoover will be survivable - possibly even above the 30mm gap

As to cost of stripwood, agree, it’s a stupid price, as are all the timber trims available

B&Q offer free cutting in several stores, as do a few others, timber yards also so could always buy length of floorboard and have that cut down

Narrow architrave or doorstop is cheap, as I also suggested as an option

Either way, going for the expensive stripwood is still cheaper than removing current skirts and replace with deeper skirts - regardless of the OP doing the work or getting a pro in

Anyway, these posts throw up various options to the OP, that’s a good thing, right ?

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pathetic reply Astra and clearly, it’s a personal dig at me regarding a previous reply I posted, as you do so on a frequent basis

For someone of retirement age (or past that) your comments come across as rather childish and smacks of amazement that how dare a diy’er post an answer related to decorating ….. when clearly, you seem to think that you rule the forum on such matters

If you need to play at being ‘Head Honcho’ to make you feel good about yourself, then that’s a shame and rather sad

And yes, I do have a sense of humour - something you’ve accused me of being devoid of several times

Maybe SF should add a food related forum
    so I to can play at being ‘The Governor’ and berate any amateur cook that dares to post a reply to any given question

Enjoy your evening and I’m looking forward to your clever reply, that is sure to soon follow, as sure as night follows day

17. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

OP didn't want to replace the Skirting. Some sort of trim might cost more but less disruptive.
    I did wonder about the risk of it splitting with impacts. A Squirt/Squeeze of something into the Gap may offer support?

Sounds like the OP is not having any Floor Covering.

@DIY Dave. I think that was aimed at me. :)
    Every Day is a School Day

DIYDave. likes this.
  18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your right, OP mentioned original floorboards as the floor finish and trying not to replace the skirtings

The comment regarding ‘not mentioning knoting sealer’ was a sarcastic comment aimed at myself, for sure

It’s a long running dig towards myself, from
    the author, as being a diy’er, I frequently reply to posts on the forum and seemingly break some kind of unwritten rule …. perhaps ?

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Bite the bullet and remove the skirting and fit new, it will always look a bodge trying another avenue and unless your property is a period one then overlaying skirting on top of skirting will look cack, the time and money it takes you to buy smaller skirting or stripwood or whatever would be better spent removing the old and installing new.

I-Man, Astramax and WillyEckerslike like this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

That my answers may have contradicted some of the others is nothing to do with being DIY or not and completely to do with what I think would give the best finish.

Nor is it a dig at anyone else's suggestions as they are clearly well intentioned especially given the limited direction from the OP. I acknowledge that they might not want to replace the skirting however that may be the outcome of taking up their flooring - actions have consequences.

There are times when things can be done cheaply with little or no detriment but sometimes there is a risk that the result will look cheap and this is one of them.

I stand or fall on the professional advice I give my clients and the one thing I guarantee they will get is my honest opinion based on years of experience of doing this for a living. That doesn't mean I'm right though.

Astramax and McSport like this.