Gap between skirting boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lorna Couper, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

Hi everyone I recently had my toilet door bricked up to make a bigger bathroom. There is no skirting board in the space where the door used to be.

Is it possible to just fill in the gap with new skirting board or would I have to redo the whole room?

Thanks, Lorna

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pics?

A skilled person could slot in a piece of skirting so that it blends in i guess.

Astramax likes this.
  3. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I can't be the only one who is wandering how you are going to get into the toilet?

haigie likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Post a photo of the current skirting board and we can then ID the style / profile name and measure the height

Several really common skirting board profiles used but then there’s loads more obscure ones and also age of the property is a factor also

Sometimes easy to perfectly match items like skirts and architrave but sometimes impossible to match by simply ‘buying off the shelf’

Even really common profiles such as Torous / Ovolo / Chamfer / Ogee / etc, will vary slightly between each producer, not so obvious if it’s a complete run along a wall (mismatch at corners though) but if piecing in a section, any variation will stand out. Skirts also vary in thickness, so even if profile match is bang on, the wood may be thinner or thicker than what you have now

If possible, cut a small section of skirting away, say a 50mm wide strip (multi tool is good for this task) and take with you to wood yards / etc in your area to match up

Once you’ve posted a photo on the Forum, you will have the profile name to hand to focus your search

Loads of suppliers online also if you need to widen your search for a perfect match - may be straightforward though, we just don’t know at this stage

But to answer your question (finally :)), once you have a matching piece of skirting, then yes, as Kools says above, it’s basic diy / decorating skills to get a seamless finish once painted

5. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

From the description I assume that there is a wall with part skirting board and then a gap where the door was. In that case, it might be worth considering replacing the whole skirting board for that wall. That would allow a little more leeway in terms of matching as a reasonable but still inexact match is likely to be obvious at a join partway along a wall.

6. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

7. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Was there supposed to be a photo or new info in the last post?

8. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

Hi DIYDave

Thanks for your detailed reply. The website isn't letting me upload pics. Is there any other way I can get them to you?

Thanks again, Lorna

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Lorna

The Forum only lets you upload fairly small file sizes - less than 2mb I think ?

Various re-sizing tools you can use but I find the easiest way is taking and posting photos on my iPhone to the Forum

A prompt comes up to choose file size for photos and then select medium - works for me every time and re. tech, I aways go the easiest route !

10. markh1

markh1 Member

Its unlikely you will be able to buy a piece of skiting close to the missing size, generally come in set lengths often 1800 2400 etc. If the entire wall the door is on is within the length of a new piece of skirting you will find it much easier and neater to remove the two ends before and after the gap and just replace the entire section. Depending on how its been mitred this may just then be a single cut/mitre end to do and much quicker than fitting a section in, filling fine gaps, sanding down etc

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Rem to buy a skirting board ladder too.

Astramax likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry but that’s incorrect regarding set lengths of skirting (or almost any timber)

Have you never visited a (proper) timber yard ??

Often cheaper than the ‘sheds’ - that do sell the above in set lengths, agreed

A timber yard will sell skirting by the metre, will cut to exact size for you but again, charge by the meter, although mine often has odd lengths on the racks so happy to haggle with them and get a deal on certain lengths

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Timber lengths as supplied by Timber Merchants start @.9m and go up in increments of .3m.....so .9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.1, 2.4 and so on up to circa 5.1 ish these are generally stock sizes.;)

Wickes sell/stock 1.8m and 2.4m mostly, these are grown at and supplied from a banana plantation.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Rosso and stevie22 like this.
  14. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

15. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

It's not working for me unfortunately.

16. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

No matter. Cut of a 50+mm piece of the existing skirting, an head off to Travis Perkins, (or similar) and just ask the yard men if they have that profile. They won't bite. It will, as others have said, probably be easier to replace the whole section along the wall rather than attempt to scarf in a short section- it can be done, but it is a bit of a skilled task. Or do a perfect job of scarfing and show us all up

Resmond likes this.
  17. Lorna Couper

Lorna Couper New Member

Thank you!

18. markh1

markh1 Member

I know timber yards sell by non fixed lengths BUT it’s more likely someone asking for advice on a simple job of patching skirting is going to go to a main retailer b&q, wickes etc than a timber yard! Plus it’s going to be quicker to replace the section over patching the space depending on what’s on either side.