Gaps above and behind skirting boards

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Validlitterdept, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Validlitterdept

Validlitterdept New Member

Hi,

I live in an old Victorian house and am in the process of refurbing the hallway which has taken a bit of a battering over the years!

The skirting board is somewhat loose, and it looks like its been filled numerous times. I've made it look alot worse tonight by picking bits out of it (see attached photos).

Shining a light into it, you can see right through to the brick.

My question is what would be the best way to fill all of these gaps, and how to re-attach the skirting board to make it solid.

Many thanks,

Rob
    IMG_1281.jpg IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1283.jpg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Expanding foam them, leave an hour or two to dry, then cut off slightly below flush then filler over the top in the larger areas, decorators caulk the smaller gaps.

Validlitterdept likes this.
  3. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Best practice would be to take your knife and cut the skirting free from filler and paint the length of the skirting board, & then gently prise it from the wall.
    Pull thro any nails, or snip them - dont drive them back out.
    Then clean the board up & maybe sand it a little - scrape the wall clean of any filler.
    Glue any splits.

Is the leg of the door casing fixed solid - or is there movement?
    Cut away all the paint and sealant from the casing/plaster.
    Think about filling in the old striker plate notch, & maybe sanding down the leg - a small orbital sander would do fine.

Is that panel solid plaster or plasterboard?
    Signs of past plaster repairs can be seen in all three pics?

When & if you remove the skirting then post a photo please?

I-Man likes this.
  4. Validlitterdept

Thanks so much for your reply. The door casing is a little loose too.

Definitely agree everything needs a good clean-up/sand.

The plaster is solid plaster and i think there have been a number of repairs carried out over the years. it seems that the gap is pretty big behind the whole skirting board, its a wonder its still fixed on at all!

What would you suggest after taking off the wall? I was planning on using expanding foam but i worry it wont give the stability needed for a high footfall part of the house.

Rob

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Foam goes off rock solid, you won’t move it or accidentally knock it out of place. Read some reviews online or look up the properties of it via manufacturers websites or YouTube, if you wanted reassurance.

6. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

I would first like to see the wall/gap behind the skirting with the skirting off before making suggestions for re-fixing?

7. Validlitterdept

Finally got round to removing the skirting board (the joys of having a 4 month old...). I can see that 3/4 of the wall below the skirting has been plastered at some point however near the doorframe this stops and you can see the brick. it looks like the grounds have rotted and the old owners have tried to attach to the brick (unsuccessfully). Any pointers on how this can be solved?

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Attached Files:

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Either pack it out with a batten along the length or several timber grounds, glue them to the bricks with foam or D4 glue then fix the skirting to them with foam, construction adhesive, pins or screws.

9. Validlitterdept

thanks so much!

Jord86 likes this.
  10. Man of gwent

Man of gwent New Member

It all looks out of square have the floor joists dropped

11. Validlitterdept

Thanks all.

I think the photo just makes it look a bit off but it's all good re the joists.

I removed the architrave on the other side and turns out the jamb was nailed into the same wooden ground as the skirting - which has perished (hence all the movement). I used some wooden shims to stabilise the jamb and screwed through them and into brickwork to solidify then filled any of the gaps with the door/window foam and now it's nice and solid.

On the skirting, i'll need to replace the rotten/perished ground and then nail/stick a new board into place (possibly some additional foam to stabilize throughout).

Thanks for all your help.