Gaps in lining paper that will be painted

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jennyalloyd, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jennyalloyd

Jennyalloyd New Member

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked a couple of times but I just wanted to check as my question is a little different. I’ve hung lining paper up in a room that I want to paint over. As a novice I’ve got a few gaps around the seams. I’ve read that you can fill and file this down (I have Polyfilla and no nonsense filla- are these ok?). Elsewhere people have advised painting with emulsion first and then filling so the sanding doesn’t rough up the lining paper. I plan on using a very dark navy blue on the walls and wonder if I should stilll paint before and if so should I just do a proper first coat with the dark paint, fill then sand the gaps, and then finish with a second coat?

Any advice would be great!

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I fill with mixed powder filler and use a damp sponge to wipe off close to filled joint so you don't have filler all over surface. Just a damp sponge and don't get paper wet. Keep it all neat and tidy. Then 240g or finer grade sandpaper lightly over if required. You going to prime the paper prior to emulsion?

3. Jennyalloyd

Jennyalloyd New Member

Thanks Wayners. I’ll do give that a go. I wasn’t planning on priming - do you mean with an undercoat? The paint is really dark so I wasn’t sure if I needed to?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Leave gaps

1st coat of emuslion, allow to dry

Fill gaps
    Use sm amount of filler at a time to not smear filler all over paper surface, scrape off excess, damp sponge works well, allow filler to dry

Can use fine sandpaper if needed, P180, as mentioned, take care not to damage surface of paper as this will show up as a differanent texture once painted

4” roller over filled seams using Leyland acrylic primer/undercoat, feather out edges of paint so no raised texture (don’t know if this stage totally needed but it’s how I approached same problem)

2nd coat emuslion
    All should be good

More than one way to skin a cat - or deal with lining paper gaps :)
    Have heard some peeps use caulk

Good luck