Gaps in painted lining paper ??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by circuitbender, Sep 14, 2019.

1. circuitbender

circuitbender Member

hi all
    I've lined over 2 walls with a heavy high weighted lining paper in a horizontal fashion
    I did this 12 months ago
    Painted over with a normal Matt Wilkie emulsion
    Problem I have is the faint line where the paper butts up to each other
    Paper adhered well over the walls

I've tried everything to try and make for a perfect smooth non seeable join ( overpainted , tried a flexy filler like caulk ,
    It's as if with expansion and contraction the slight gap s appear again over time
    So... any ideas folks as to this problem
    Thanks

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

Toupret fine filler... Put your 1st coat of emulsion on to seal the paper/edges then fill. Take your time with the filler and do a neat job as you don’t really want to be sanding etc. wipe any excess off with a damp sponge that fills the grain of the paper either side of the joint.

Richard_ likes this.
  3. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Another vote for Toupret

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It's lining paper so lines can be spotted.. Try fine filler though

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easifil;)

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I'm going through the same thing. Lining paper has been up for about 5 years and small gaps have appeared, perhaps up to about 0.5 mm at the greatest point with a little bubbling at the edges. As the paper and paint is still in really good condition other than this I am attempting spot repairs and then feathering the paint. It is proving surprisingly difficult to get the lines to vanish.

I have been using no nonsense lightweight filler in a tube, but will be up to Screwfix today and try the Toupret and will update. Interested to know how the original poster gets on with this.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The edges are failing due to lack of sizing and paste onto the edges of the wallpaper, as they are lose they have shrunk back. Lift the seams as much as you can, wet them with a sponge and then straight away paste the wall and the paper seam area with a ready mixed wallpaper paste or border overlap adhesive, let soak for 5 minutes and then lightly use a seam roller to ease back into place wiping off the excess adhesive once done, let dry overnight.

Muzungu, WillyEckerslike and Richard_ like this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thanks for that Astra, taken on board. Where I was going wrong was not letting everything go off between steps for long enough.

Eased the paper joins (where they had bubbled) back with a Stanley blade and then used a very fine, inch long, watercolour brush to get the adhesive right into the joint. I found I could tell where the join had gone, where it wasn't obvious by sight, by tapping down the joint, slight "tick" where the adhesive had let go. Seam rollered after leaving for 5 minutes (as suggested). Left overnight and then wiped again with a very slightly damp paper towel to get any residue off.

More as an experiment as anything else I used a low tack masking tape (Wilko's cheapo 1.50 a roll) each side of the joint, about 5 mm, and then ran the no nonsense filler down and spread with one of those Screwfix spreader knives, the cheap 4 blade sets. Removed the masking tape and let the filler go off then feathered with 180 grit being careful not to press too hard on the actual joint line.

Light coat of emulsion to seal, as I didn't want everything to come apart, then final coat and it seems (pun) to be pretty good on the first try, will be better on subsequent.

Maybe I have been a bit of a f*nny with this but treating it as a surgical operation seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tips.

WillyEckerslike likes this.