Gaps

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by foxy, Feb 28, 2004.

1. foxy

foxy New Member

I have a house where a gap is appearing along the top of the wall on the first floor landing. It looks as if the plasterboard is moving up away from the wall.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks,
    foxy.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

This is normal shrinkage crack at ceiling interface where the plasterer has not bothered or used proper scrim to tape the ceiling joint. Just need to fill it full of plaster and it should solve it.

RSS

3. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I agree with Unphased. How new is your house / plasterboard? Providing the gap is not more than about 10mm, and there is no other sign inside or outside that any else is amiss, don't worry.

If the house is fairly new, then you can expect this sort of thing for about the first 18 months, sometimes a bit longer. If the house is quite old, just check around that area inside and out, but sill unlikly.

regards Woody

4. foxy

foxy New Member

The house is 30yrs old. The gaps were filled about 5-6 months ago and have retutned. At the widest point they are almost 1/2". I can see no signs of subsidence on the outside of the building.

5. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

Talk to your buyilding insurers in case it is structural movement. They may pay for a structural engineer to visit.

Mike

6. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I would be inclined to agree with Mike on this one. It might be nothing, BUT it could be something. Give them a ring on Monday, and if nothing else they should be able to give you some advic. Please let us know how you get on.

Woody

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

What are the pros and cons of getting subsidence covered by insurance? Was told that some companies won't come near you if you have the problem....
    What kind of extra premiums would you have to pay?