Garage consumer unit trips off when switching off garage lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Karl Taylor, Mar 25, 2018.

1. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Did you change both light switches?

2. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

No they are a few years old, hardly used them. Crampton clpb61T flourecent light units SINGLE 70 WATT units is the model number

3. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

No just the white plastic one that was arching at front of garage. Not the insulated one at the back of the garage as it also operates another light and works fine .

4. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

I get a couple of light pendants and try them i think to see if its the the lights. Doubt it mind....?

5. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

But as I said before, if the two switches are wired two-way(both switches can turn on or off the same light), then they are both active at switching time, whichever switch is used). The second gang (separate light)is irrelevant.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Quite involved all this ''find the fault'' malarkey - what you need is a Robin tester Karl..:)

7. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Lol. Need a sparkey i think

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

9. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Fitted two light pendants in place of suspect flourecent light fittings .
    Switched on and off all 6 lights a few times
    Result is lights dont trip out.

My question is now that i have established I have most likely two faulty flourecent lights what has caused them both to fail as they are not that old?
    Secondly would fitting two new flourecent light fittings fix the problem as some one suggested it could be leakage back to earth from the flourecent light fitting that is causing the problems? If that is the case surely i would expect it from the other flourecent lights when i switch them off??

Or is it because i have the two flourecent lights on each a two way switch which is why i am getting a leakage back to earth causing the rcd to trip?

Never had this issue before with this set up, so could i just be un lucky and have at least one faulty light which is what the problem is and replacement will fix the issue ??

Thanks all

10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

If they are the type of florries with a starter, they will have a big chunky coil thing in there called a choke. I guess it is possible that a fault (or maybe ageing) could mean that when you switch off, there is a back EMF of some sort that trip the RCD. I don't know, just shooting the breeze.

If you buy a new fitting, get the HF type with an electronic starter.
    Like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-high-frequency-ballast-standard-batten-1-x-36w-3350lm-4ft/27791

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

Fit 2 LED strip lights far better light and less maintenance

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The magnetic ballasts are “earthy”, your pendents are not. I still say lost earth as previous post. Please get it checked properly, your fault finding is haphazard.

13. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Point taken. The only other thing i was thinking of doing is connecting each light to a cable and a plug and switching them on by a socket. That way if its faulty it will trip the socket? . Worth a go?

14. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Hi. When u say a lost earth as the pendants dont have a earth i connected a earth wire inside the pendants. Neutral. Live and earth on both of them....so they must have earths?

15. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Carnt see how it can be a lost earth? As pendants work.
    Lost earth on what?
    This electrician speak or terminology ?

16. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Having done a search about standard and HF flourecent fittings there seems to be alot of talk about the life span and quality of HF light fittings compared to standard flourecent light fittings. However by the looks of it having done a google search the standard flourecent light fitting is getting fazed out and vast majority of what is available is HF versions but service life of these units is poor? Whats the best make of HF flourecent light?
    Is Viper any good?

I am tempted just to buy two of these units and then change the rest if them as and when needed but a little bit put off now as quality reports and service life seem poor?
    But it might not fix my issue any way due to previous posts by other people. ....

17. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

If you are staying with florries then Viper is as good as any.
    The world is heading in the direction of LEDs. ​

Karl Taylor likes this.
  18. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Wonder if its worth buying the diffuser as well for the light as dont see much point for a garage as wont they make the lights dimmer???

19. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Hi. When you say lost earth, Lost earth on what? As each pendants have a earth wire. Is this electrician terminology? You mean bad earth connection ? Have checked earths in fuse box and all are secure....never had this issue before. Surely its a simple thing that a switch is a switch it either works or it doesn't. Wires are either connected or they arnt and light fittings have components that fail? Or am i missing something....?

20. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Would you bother getting any diffusers for them as not sure if there would be any benefits in a garage and the lights would be dimmer wouldn't they?