Garage consumer unit trips off when switching off garage lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Karl Taylor, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Lost earth on what? Surely its as simple as a faulty component on a light? As it either works or it doesn't? I have established its between the two lights as all the other 4 work fine. If its a lost earth you mean poor earth connection or no earth at all? So the light shouldn't work at all if it wiring is faulty or missing???

2. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Yes got just 6 standard 6feet single 70 watt fluorescent fitted. Not hf versions as all got starters etc fitted.
    Worth up datting them eventually or leave until start to go faulty like these two are as dont use them all at once that much. May be that the problem and lack of use....causing internal components to break down...

3. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

No only plastic one at front of garage that was arching.

4. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Made no difference changing switch. Suspect a faulty light unit.

5. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

No about 4 or 5 years old, not used them much

6. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Taken both lights off the circuit. Fitted pendants . Rcd doesn't trip.

7. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

No doesnt trip with both flourecents disconnected .

8. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

Why didnt you go for LED as advised above?

9. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Lost earth where? Surely wires are connected or they arnt. Switches work or they dont and these flourecents have starters etc and power packs that could be faulty? Why do the other lights work on and off and dont trip the rcd. These suspect lights Switch on but sometimes when you switch them off they trip the rcd. I have not narrowed it down to which light fitting yet. But thinking i might run a piece of 3 core cable to each light fitting in turn and connect a plug on the end and connect it to one of my sockets in the garage and try switching it on and off to see if it trips the rcb off. however consensus is i have out dated lighting any way so changing the standard flourecent to hf versions wouldn't do any harm in any case. ..

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Could be the effect of cumulative leakage to earth through any input filter circuits on the lights, if they have electronic ballasts. One on it's own won't trip, but both together may give enough leakage to trip a sensitive RCD. See 'High earth leakage installations'.

11. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Disconnected one of them and it tripped. So Reconnected what i believed to be ok unit unit and connected the other unit. Tripped rcd out....

12. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

Would fitting new HF flourecents eliminate this issue??

13. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

So fitting new HF FLOURECENTS will eliminate this issue??

14. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member

So fitting new HF FLOURECENTS will eliminate this leakage?

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Karl. We answered your question way back in the thread. Fit LED striplights. HF florescent and ordinary florescent are old technology and fast being superseded. They won't be manufactured for much longer. LED striplights are the best replacement

16. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

I go with Unphased here, I fitted some LED strip lights into my basement area, they beat the pants off the old fluro's, use less power and give a good colour and quantity of light. Screwfix supplied mine at around £40 each.

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

While I agree LED are by far better, the fault should be found first.

retiredsparks likes this.
  18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

WTF has a Consumer Unit to do with this topic?

20. Karl Taylor

Karl Taylor Member