Garage Consumer Unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NJ Rider, Jan 31, 2022.

1. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

Hi all, we have just moved into a house built around 1989. The previous owner was a builder and built the house himself. Sadly he seems to have scrimped on just about everything and bodged a lot of it. I've fixed several major problems and just managed to gain access to the garage. The wiring is a deathtrap. I've isolated all the external electrics from the breakers. There is a secondary consumer unit in the garage that is being run off a breaker on 2.5mm twin and earth. Pretty sure that's not the correct setup and it should be on meter tails from a Henley block.

I don't plan on doing this myself. But because of the distance and the trench that needs to be excavated through concrete I want to get the cable laid prior to getting a sparky out to fit the Henley and wire the new consumer unit.

As it's expensive stuff to make a mistake on, do these need to be 25mm? That seems like a large run for 25mm?

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Small garage CU on 2.5mm2 T+E is normal if not ideal.

3. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

Yeah not sure Garden hose as trunking and grey T&E exposed to the elements is right or the bits of bell wire and appliance cord daisy chained with terminal blocks is normal though. It's not a small garage either. I want to be able to run a small 60amp welder from time to time in there so I don't want to take the risk if that's being fed from the house consumer unit.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

What amp breaker is it? Should be 16 or 20amp, which not a normal setup for a CU, but should at least make it "safe".

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Personally I would plan ahead and ensure the supply was up to EV charging too

6. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

Its on a 16. I think the run is fine from the board to the second unit. Its the bits the guy added himself that look lethal and he's spurred off all over the place. Was just going to do a new run as I'll need a 40 for the welder plus gate motors/lighting. May as well correct it for the future.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

40amp supply for the welder means it’s not a small welder. Tbh anything over 32A is going to be hard wired. Are you sure you need 40A supply for welding?

gate motors and lights are minimal

8. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

It's got 40amp input and 80amp output from what I recall. I'll have to dig it out as it's all boxed up but it definitely said not suitable for a 32 socket.