Garage conversion with warm roof - lots of condensation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kim Lundgren, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Kim Lundgren

Kim Lundgren New Member

Hi guys, spent the last 5 months (spare time) doing a garage conversion.

It's single skin with 100mm insulated timber stud walling, breathable membrane to outer, vapour barrier on inner before plasterboards. Has a warm roof, so OSB, vapour barrier, 120mm insulation, OSB, rubber roof.

Electrician has come for second fix today and as he has gone to fit spots the ceiling plasterboard has crumbled and he said felt wet on the top side. There was no dew on the OSB above, but it did feel damp and very cold in this space (between plasterboards and roof).

We haven't put heaters in yet and the room is cold as the temperature outside is.

The windows always have condensation and the new fittings did this evening (see photos).
    I've put a dehumidifier and heater in now for time being.

Anybody got suggestions on how to fix please? Is this because it's cold and nobody is currently using the space? Or do I need ventilation? (We have one vent on the patio door which we have left open)

Any help is massively appreciated. Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The temperature has suddenly dropped, at least where I live, the last couple of days and if the ventilation rate is very low then all the moisture that the (warmer air) was holding will condense as the structure cools. Also, was wet-work done (even paint)?

A dehumidifier and heater should sort it out but it can but it can take a while. If it's been plastered and painted and maybe screeding etc - all that water needs to go somewhere.

3. Kim Lundgren

Kim Lundgren New Member

Thanks @Jimbo – I had thought about that later on as we had all mentioned (screed / plaster / paint) have been done in the recent weeks. Also temperature has dropped here and is very wet outside.

Seems better this morning with dehumidifier and heater. Do you have any advise around how long this could take to dry out? It's a 4x2m room for reference. Thanks again