Garage conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Farky1314, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Farky1314

Farky1314 New Member

Hi All,

I have a single skin, detached 1960's garage, solid, flat concrete roof which has been covered in 1/2" bitumen sheets, original wooden double doors, which I use to store the usual ****, there is a fridge freezer and tumble dryer in there as well. floor level is 2/3 bricks below the outside ground level on one wall, I have painted 5 bricks high on the inside of this wall with bitumen paint, seems to have worked on keeping out the damp. In the winter I get condensation from the roof and mainly one wall, even when the dryer hasn't been on for days, which is rusting up tools and moulding up my hammock and other material :-(
    So what im planning is this:

25mm x 50mm frame, fitted to the floor and ceiling, tight to the wall, DPM on the wood that is touching the wall.
    450mm space between batons
    Filled with 25mm Jablite polystyrene boards, glued direct to the wall.
    Panelled with 9mm OSB or Ply
    Ceiling pretty much the same as the walls

The garage is only 11mSq, so not much space
    I only want to stop the condensation and maybe do the odd bit of work in it if its raining.

Will this achieve what I want?
    Would getting a condensing dryer reduce condensation?

Cheers for any advice

2. egon999

egon999 Member

add some mechanical ventilation. have it on an over run so it continues for 15 mins or so after you turn lights off as moisture from drier will hang around after you finish using it

3. Farky1314

Farky1314 New Member

Thanks egon, hadn't thought of that and even with my meagre DIY skills, I should be able to do that :) Does the rest of the plan sound like it will work?

egon999 likes this.