Garage door Frame to replace.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Guy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Guy

Guy Member

I am by no means a carpenter, but hanging doors etc isn't particularly a major job to me.
    However, I have a job to do for somebody which is replacing a rotten frame on a garage and rehanging garage door. It is a metal up/over type door.
    My main question is about the joints I need to use on the frame.
    The two uprights will need to have half the thickness of wood removed to accomodate the top horizontal which will also have half its wood removed, in order that all 3 pieces are flush. I do not know the name of this joint.
    What will be the best and easiest way of removing the wood to make reasonable joints?
    Would a saw be sufficient, or is it best to use a mallet and chisel?
    Are there any hard/fast rules when it comes to hanging the metal garage door?

Thanks to all who contribute.

2. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

I do not know the name
    of this joint.
    Are there any hard/fast rules when it comes to
    hanging the metal garage door?

get someone who knows what they are doing to fit it, LOL

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Yo Guy,

The frame is a relatively simple carpentry job and you should be able to achieve it with basic tools. The joint you mention is a half lap joint and it is very simple to form. The joint can be cut with a decent saw and if you have one a workmate will hold it firm. Correctly fixing the frame to the wall can be achieved with a heavy duty fastener you can find at any of the Diypermarkets. The half lap will allow a little movement if the opening is out of true. Jack the frame off the ground by a little to stop water getting into the end grain. Put some preserver on the back faces before fixing.

The garage door itself might present a problem in removal and refitting especially if it is the Henderson sprung loaded type. These have a spring to counterbalance the door that is wound up to a certain torque setting and you need to know how many turns. These are effing lethal if you do not know what you are doing so I would take Boris's advice and get someone to do this bit. I would say it is a two man job anyway for safety.

I am not an expert but I did retension a Henderson door once and it was a tricky job.

Good luck with your efforts

DWD

4. Guy

Guy Member

Dewaltdisney,

Thanks for your informative reply.
    Yes, I got the jist about the frame, and feel ok with this.
    The garage door is not a tensioned spring type fortunately, so hopefully it will be straight forward.
    However, I did retension one of my own once, and before I managed to secure the tensioned spring, I accidently let it go. What a F**** noise, it nearly deafened me AND it set off the burglar alarm over the road. I assume the frequency from the spring was responsible for this.

Many thanks anyway.

billysloke likes this.