Garage Installation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NullaDave, Mar 12, 2019.

  1. NullaDave

    NullaDave New Member

    Hi All,

    I'm doing a conversion of my garage and have a question about the electrics. I have done electrical installation courses in the past and whilst not actually getting certified, I would regard myself as a competent installer.

    The garage currently runs from a single RCD on the main house consumer unit. It powers the fluorescent light, a security light and a double socket with a single socket on a spur. This was all installed by the previous owner.

    I am adding a garage consumer unit with a separate socket and lighting ring. I'll be joining the spurred socket to the ring and adding a further 3 sockets. The lighting will just be the fluorescent light, security light and four LED downlights, a 1 way switch and a 2 way switch.

    I'm comfortable carrying out all of the work myself but will I be required to get it signed off by a certified electrician? If so, what will I need to do to prepare? Is it just a case of checking the termination points or will all of the cabling need checking as well? I am going to be boarding and plastering soon so will need to get someone in sharpish if they need to check cabling as well.

    Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    The work your are doing is 'notifiable' under Part P of the building regulation. There are only three ways you can comply with the Part P

    A - have the work completed by a member of a CPS(Competent Persons Scheme)
    B - notify your LABC in advance of the work starting and pay a fee for them to inspect
    C - Contact a 'Third Party Certifier' before starting work.

    The option that is definitely not open to you is
  3. Coloumb

    Coloumb Well-Known Member

    It largely depends on what the feed is like from the CU.
  4. NullaDave

    NullaDave New Member

    Thanks Comlec.

    I assumed this would be the case. Would you recommend any one of the options you have listed? My thought is the Third Party Certifier but will have to do some more research first.
  5. NullaDave

    NullaDave New Member

    I believe the feed from the CU is just a 1.0mm or 1.5mm twin cable. Will need to inspect further though. I am starting to think that is going to need replacing too!
  6. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    Often the cheapest on small works is option A

    The only schemes that offer third party certification is Stroma and Napit. Both offer search for an installer facilities.
  7. Coloumb

    Coloumb Well-Known Member

    If it is then and is supplied with a FCU fitting a CU in the garage is going to be totally pointless. You need to totally re-think your design.
  8. unphased

    unphased Screwfix Select

    If you want to go the route of getting your work signed off then you must get the work inspected at stages, ie first fix and second fix and then get it tested and certified. How much do you expect to pay for that service?
  9. unphased

    unphased Screwfix Select

    In my experience of converting garages to rooms why would you need to have a separate CU? You would usually be able to extend the socket circuit and lighting circuit to pick up the extra light and sockets. Its daft putting it on a new CU. Before you start this job, if you are intent on getting someone to sign it off, get them involved now and ask their advice on the best and most efficient way of doing it. I certainly would not like to sign off what you propose its way over the top for such a simple alteration.
  10. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    RCD? really, did you mean RCD?
  11. spinlondon

    spinlondon Well-Known Member

    Could be from an RCD in an enclosure next to the CU.

Share This Page