Garage Insulation

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by NigelB12251, Nov 11, 2017.

1. NigelB12251

NigelB12251 New Member

I have a garage (detached from house) that is of single skin brick construction (no damp course) on top of a concrete slab. I want to partition the garage to create a small office/workshop and as such want to insulate it so i can use it all year round but I'm keen to avoid mould / damp issues. I have read many articles on the internet but am a little confused to the correct way to do it. Could someone confirm if the proposal below will work or if there is a better way of doing it (I am planning on doing the work msyelf and can do all with the exception of plastering):

Floor

· Damp proof membrane covering entire floor folded up walls by say 100mm

· Timber frame built on top of membrane with gaps filled with Celotex/Kingspan

· Vapour barrier covering top of frame / insulation

· Floor boards

External walls

· Damp proof membrane fixed to wall (battens described below in next bullet point to hold it in place)

· Wooden battens on top of damp proof membrane screwed to wall

· Celotex / Kingspan between battens installed so they are touching damp proof membrane i.e. no gap)

· Vapour barrier over top of insulation / battens

· Plasterboard + skim

Internal dividing wall

· Timber frame construction

· Gaps between battens filled with Celotex/Kinspan

· Vapour barrie on room side of insulation

· Plasterboard and skim both sides of partition wall

Ceiling

· Timber frame, with gaps filled with Celotex/ Kinspan) (Worth noting that Garage has pitched roof so i am proposing to effectly create a false ceiling to room rather than working on existing garage roof stucture

· Vapour barrier room side

· Plaster board + skim

Thanks
    Nigel

ChrisGB likes this.
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sounds about right

3. Jeff C.

Jeff C. New Member

4. thitlew

thitlew New Member

I’m going to do something similiar in my prefab, it will house a dryer and panel radiator for drying peoples wet clothes etc, is it nescessarry to put dpm against the outside wall, I was thinking to put Rockwool in, then a polythene barrier behind 12mm ply. I am putting an extractor fan in to help with humidity. Thanks.