Garage Insulation

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by NigelB12251, Nov 11, 2017.

1. NigelB12251

NigelB12251 New Member

I have a garage (detached from house) that is of single skin brick construction (no damp course) on top of a concrete slab. I want to partition the garage to create a small office/workshop and as such want to insulate it so i can use it all year round but I'm keen to avoid mould / damp issues. I have read many articles on the internet but am a little confused to the correct way to do it. Could someone confirm if the proposal below will work or if there is a better way of doing it (I am planning on doing the work msyelf and can do all with the exception of plastering):

Floor

· Damp proof membrane covering entire floor folded up walls by say 100mm

· Timber frame built on top of membrane with gaps filled with Celotex/Kingspan

· Vapour barrier covering top of frame / insulation

· Floor boards

External walls

· Damp proof membrane fixed to wall (battens described below in next bullet point to hold it in place)

· Wooden battens on top of damp proof membrane screwed to wall

· Celotex / Kingspan between battens installed so they are touching damp proof membrane i.e. no gap)

· Vapour barrier over top of insulation / battens

· Plasterboard + skim

Internal dividing wall

· Timber frame construction

· Gaps between battens filled with Celotex/Kinspan

· Vapour barrie on room side of insulation

· Plasterboard and skim both sides of partition wall

Ceiling

· Timber frame, with gaps filled with Celotex/ Kinspan) (Worth noting that Garage has pitched roof so i am proposing to effectly create a false ceiling to room rather than working on existing garage roof stucture

· Vapour barrier room side

· Plaster board + skim

Thanks
    Nigel

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Sounds about right

3. Jeff C.

Jeff C. New Member

4. thitlew

thitlew New Member

I’m going to do something similiar in my prefab, it will house a dryer and panel radiator for drying peoples wet clothes etc, is it nescessarry to put dpm against the outside wall, I was thinking to put Rockwool in, then a polythene barrier behind 12mm ply. I am putting an extractor fan in to help with humidity. Thanks.