Garage Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TizerTimix, Mar 4, 2019.

1. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Just wanted a quick double check on this as a DIY'er

[​IMG]

I wanted to add another light to the garage, i've had to cut some holes where the rafters are as seen above and below:

[​IMG]

I've run some twin and earth though to link to existing wiring, plan to notch out the rafters and plug the holes back up with the pieces cut out.

Simples? Or am i being a div?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been easier to use a one or two LED battens, 4' or 5' either single or double tube.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Your not supposed to run cables under the rafters or joists, they should be 50mm from either the top or bottom ie through a hole. Don't notch out underneath, it weakens them. It would have been a lot easier if you had used conduit.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You are not really meant to notch the underside of joists but a little nick out of a rafter for a bit a t&e is probably not going to mean the roof will fall down. I am with Kiab on a nice LED tube.

Just one question is the garage integral to the house or is it a flat roof above.

5. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Its a double garage but soon to have a conversion done to make an office/playroom, i cant get to it from above as the bathroom floor is tiled. It was an effort to make as tidy a job as possible. A rethink then perhaps.

6. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Its integral and i wanted to stay away from the tube idea (i did think about that) because of the future conversion.

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If it is integral you will need to ensure you maintain the fire rating of the ceiling.

8. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Could i run a chase along the board, wide enough to get a drill in, drill my holes 50mm up, feed it through then just do another skim of plasterboard over the whole lot? Seems excessive but ticks the boxes?

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Why do you want to make life hard for yourself? Just do it in placky conduit. It's hardly needs to look "nice" for an office/games room.

10. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Some people shop in Waitrose, some in Aldi. It needs to look nice :)

11. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

I was actually expecting the ceiling to be double skimmed with board, its not, so i might as well get it done and sort the lights properly. Being integral to the house it will also help to deaden any noise. Thanks chaps.

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would have gone between two rafters, fed a small drill up there and put a 12 or 15 mm hole on the centre line of the rafter each side, then thread the cable through.

You may know te cable is in small rebates, but what about anyone else?

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Cut a square hole and drill joists put piece back after you done

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just done lighting in my own garage.

Two 4ft led batten whatjumacallits from Wickes

Does a great job.

15. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

Yep, i'll crack on with this later, i have spare board to fill the gap. i'll get this done then when it comes to the conversion (when i get around to it) i'll put another layer of fire board up. \o/ Should save me a shock when i plough in a load of dry wall screws for the 2nd layer. ;)

16. Did you sort your outside light using the cpc as a neutral.

goldenboy likes this.
  17. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Cut a 210mm hole in ceiling board between joists, insert a 225mm round flat 18w LED & connect to light bulb rose with 1mm twin cable..
    (Obviously, check hole sizes before cutting).

[​IMG]

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Currently safely terminated in a weatherproof box waiting for my mate.

Thanks for asking though.

19. TizerTimix

TizerTimix Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That will have to do, quick skim over, shouldn't look any worse than it is already, i'll connect it up when i have a bit of light tomorrow :) Thanks for info's peeps

Pollowick likes this.
  20. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Should be fire rated pink board if its a garage, is the original not? but if its being converted to a standard room then probably doesn't matter.