Garage roof - Corrugated Sheets???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Raul B, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi

My asbestos roof has started to leak slightly, not sure exactly why and what's it down to. I will be investigating further later this week.
    In the meantime I've been looking at a cheap fix.... What do you think of placing corrugated sheets (coroline) on top of the asbestos???

Are coroline sheets noisy when it rains?
    Are these sheets durable/any good?

Any advice would be much appreciated please???

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Active Member

Liquid applied coating,depending on the damage.

For small areas, you could look at Evercryl by Everbuild

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

5. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

What's holding its up ?
    Cut roof, steel frame, trusses?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Ervercryl is excellent stuff although expensive if doing more than a small area.

I would fill any noticable gaps/holes and old fixings with blackjack trowel mastic- toolstation used to sell it in 5l tins but I can't seem to find it now.
    https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/black-jack-bitumen-trowel-mastic-5-litres.html

Then give the whole roof a once over with blackjack roof paint- it is full of little fibres like the evercryl but slightly more like a slurry so more readily paintable with good coverage.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ro...aterseals/sd2809/All+Weather+Roof+Coat/p60252

Buy cheap paintbrushes and chuck them when done as you ain't cleanin it off!

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Use a 4" roller.

Forgot the Blackjack roof paint.:oops:

And you shouldn't mention or link to competitors...:eek:

I just send OP a PM with links.;)

fostyrob likes this.
  8. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

My bad...it's the only reason I still go there these days (and the free coffee). As soon as Screwfix stocks the blackjack range I doubt I will set foot in the store that shan't be named again. The free coffee wouldn't go a miss either;)

9. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi,

I'll use the screws/fixings you can buy with the sheets...?
    I have wooden joists holding up the current asbestos roof so I'll just screw into these... I'll obviously take off all the old screws otherwise the sheets won't sit flat.
    Speaking of screws, I think some areas of the leak might be entering from there!

I'm not sure about painting it as I don't want to do 'patch' work - it will be unsightly looking outside from the indoor windows. I know, I can be pedantic!
    The garage is 6metres by 3 metres approx, so quite a large area...

No ones said anything about the sheets???? No one recommends?

10. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

I would be wary of disturbing the asbestos with putting and removing screws. In an ideal world I would remove it all in an safe manner and dispose of it, then replace it with a new roof be that corrugated sheets or felt etc.

I don't see the logic in covering over a failing roof which in essence is still a patch.

The paints are excellent in terms of waterproofness, longevity and ultimately do not risk disturbing the asbestos.

KIAB likes this.
  11. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

As you suggest the likely source of leak is the screws just plop a little dollop of the mastic on top and smooth out. Cover the entire roof with bitumen and it will look a neat and uniform black.

12. Raul B

Raul B Member

I'm going to test watering the roof and find the leak points.
    How would I safely get on top of the roof? I'll have to put across a plank of wood across the whole length/width right?

13. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

You will need a board on roof to work from, & across multiple joists.

14. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

How tall is it? is it a free standing structure and what is around about it?

I would not be keen to walk across that span even with a plank of wood to spread the load. Is it asbestos tiles or sheets? My concern would be that the material could be relatively brittle, particularly if it is deteriorating and you could end up going through it? If you are going down this route I would use a large board (ply or equivalent) to spread the load as much as posisble over multiple joists rather than a plank.

could you get at either side with extension or combination ladders with a stand off? If you use a roller as Kiab suggested you could use an extension to get the middle bit.

I did a similar job a couple of years ago on a workshop with corrugated tin roof that was past it's best. At one end there is another outbuilding which I could stick a workmate. The other side I stuck up a combination ladder and crossed the span about 6 inches above the roof with a further ladder and secured it with straps. It was not the ideal set up but was pretty solid and allowed me to get to the middle bits with a brush.

15. Raul B

Raul B Member

I'll send a picture of it tonight. It's 2 meters high and 6 x 4 meters in area
    Thanks for all the comment thus far, much appreciated.

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

You could prop the roof from underneath and use boards on top across the joists.
    Our local SF branches do have free drinks on the trade counters (plus biscuits - and donuts on Thursdays). I had forgotten how tasty Bovril is.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Over-boar4d and felt it(if it can take the weight).

18. Raul B

Raul B Member

Pictures attached.

Attached Files:

19. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Well, if you removing fixings, then like others,I would replace competely, 18mm osb3,felt, would need a few more intermidate joists, as span looks a bit wide in photo,but camera angle can make it look worst.

20. Raul B

Raul B Member

Fixings are only screws which isn't a big job.
    How much would felt material cost to purchase and labour cost?