Garage - Wall Insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LauraTheExplorer, Mar 6, 2023.

1. LauraTheExplorer

LauraTheExplorer New Member

Hi All,

I am keen to turn my single skin garage into a space where I can keep and maintain my motorbikes. I am going for a 70mm floor with 18mm T&G chipboard above, and a 115mm corrugated warm roof.

It's single skin brick and I want to stud it out for the walls.

Am I right in thinking that I need to do the following:

- 89mm CLS attached to the brick walls
    - 70mm Celoxtex inserted between the studs, leaving a 19mm air gap behind them
    - Vapour Layer stapled to studs
    - 25mm batten over the studs, to leave a service gap for my wiring
    - 15mm plasterboard.

Is this right?

Will a 19mm air gap between bricks and Celotex be enough? Do I need a damp proof membrane between the brickwork and the studs? I'd rather not as the brickwork is dry and I think it would be better to leave it breathable.

Thanks in advance,

Laura xx

2. Ay Bee Cee

Ay Bee Cee Active Member

Looks like you know your stuff so no need to get down to the nitty gritty.
    Assume your DPC is between the concrete & brickwork & the outside level apart from your drive is 150mm down.
    Occasionally driving rain can cause the inside of the wall to become damp etc.
    A gap between the wall would be advisable & the stud wall would be better built out of treated CLS.
    Start the inside wall with a couple of course of bricks 50mm from the wall, with a DPC even though the tray would be going over it. Then the studs.
    In theory a partial cavity tray to drive any water on the inside of the wall towards the outside is required.
    Then a DPM formed into a tray before your 70mm celotex or whatever, with polythene under the flooring.

3. LauraTheExplorer

LauraTheExplorer New Member

Thanks for that Ay Bee Cee. You're a gent.