Garage wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tinkers, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tinkers

Tinkers New Member

hi
    Hope you help me with my garage wiring
    I have the garage feed on it’s own 16a RCD protected radial circuit from cu in 2.5 t&e in conduit under concrete drive (10m ish from cu) that goes to 2 double sockets
    I would like to change it by adding 2 more sockets (so 4 total) & 2 switched fused spurs for lights
    A is this acceptable as don’t want to put garage min cu & run new cable really ?

B got loads of pvc conduit 25mm so was going to run it in that good idea or not?

C there is a tumble dryer in there is the any allowances I should make for that

D should I consider anything else?

Thanks again
    For any advice

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Well-Known Member

it all depends on the total load how much are you going to be using at the one time, yes put in the extra sockets using the conduit, also will the lights be led as its all protected by the mcb and the cable is rated at 26 amps on its own, you don't need to make any special allowances for the tumble dryer . (Wait for kiab to come along and disagree with me.)

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

Just DIY here, plans seems OK to me, would use the conduit as you have it - sounds like a good idea anyway, not sure if its "needed" per the rules.

Only 1 FCU is needed for the lights, fuse it at 5A and then radial from there to your lights.

If I were you though, I'd check the loading on the 2.5mm T&E is OK at 16A over that distance. I've run SWA over 25m and for 16A was advised to use 4mm. Doing a quick check on https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html comes up with 4mm for your situation :-(

4. Tinkers

Tinkers New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Loads would be
    Lights ( 2 older strip lights at the minute), tumble dryer, general power tools small compressor
    I would like a mig welder in the future
    I thought I was on the right track & just checking I was ok with the 2.5 feed really

5. ajohn

ajohn Well-Known Member

You could run for 25m at 30amps over that distance with 4mm swa. 7kw load. Max current for max temperature being 49A. from 30C ambient.

John
    -

6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

If you shop around there are 2kW tumble driers out there, this would keep the load a 10A for the drier giving some slack to run the lights and some low consumption items.

Even a 3kW drier only pulls 13A so you are not overloading, but won't be able to fire up all your tools at the same time.

16A is correct to protect the cable, can't see an issue with your plan