Garden Drainage advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SparkyAnt, May 11, 2021.

1. SparkyAnt

SparkyAnt Member

Edited - - if not in correct forum, any mod please feel free to move :) cheers

Hi,
    I’m looking for some advice on how to fit some drainage to my garden.
    It’s pretty clay heavy, slightest bit of rain and the top turns to sludge, it faces NE so lots of it in constant shade and water takes ages to drain.

I’m thinking of replacing the mossy boggy lawn with some fake grass.
    I’ve already got to dig out the topsoil to fit the fake grass so though nows the time to sort the drainage as last thing I want is standing water or it all mushy under foot.

the garden is on a downward slope which for once might be an advantage!

If I were to dig a trench or a couple of them horizontally across the full width about 1ft deep and fill with gravel to make a few “french drains” or soak away drains would that do the trick?

im just a bit conscious that if I have astroturf and being on a slope the rain water will run off this quicker than normal turf and potentially gather at the bottom of the slope.
    If I have a French drain or soak away at the bottom of the slope this should help with any standing water??

I actually had the idea of putting a full dpm sheet under the entire carpet of fake grass (grass on top, then sand, dpm on top of compacted mot) and have this run to the French drain to catch every drop of water without ever touching the soil underneath but not sure this is the done thing or not..can’t find any examples of people doing it which usually means it’s a naff idea !

Really would appreciate any advice
    Cheers guys

Last edited: May 11, 2021