Garden /Exterior Pir light sensor override - help please

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kelvin Lewis, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

Bought these screwfix lap garden /exterior downlighter lights as it said you could overide the pir with a simple on - off-on as and when i wanted to keep them on
    Dont know what the neighbours think but many many repeated attempts have ended in failure and they will only stay on with the pir sensor.
    Pics below of the light, the instruction and they were simple to wire as a like for like lights were there previously and they are nice lights but i just cannot figure out what i am doing wrong to get them to stay on.
    Any help i would be very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If rapid switching on and off does not work (whole sequence under 3 secs) the light is defective.

3. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

But i have two, chances of them both being defective are very slim
    Yes to under 3 secs, i have switched them to off then on off on but repeated attempts are just thwarted. It surely isnt meant to be this difficult

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

sometimes by simply isolating the power supply for a short duration,magically resets many devices:)

Isolate power to your pir lighting circuit for approx 1 minute. Then re-instate power & see if lamps have reset & now function as expected.
    Good luck.

5. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

Thankyou
    I have reset by isolating power, but now one light stays on and the other does not, there are two household switches to turn these lights on?

6. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

Ok
    One light only works by constantly staying on and one light works only on pir!!!!!

7. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

Just to say Thanks for the advice sparky Steve, very kind.
    I have now got them to work more often than not, some gremlins still but progress

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

LAPS, as electricians here will tell you, are of variable quality. Many here won’t touch them, but I buy their LED gu10 lamps. Out of a box of 10, two or three will stop working after a few weeks , but cheap enough to make up for a 30% failure.

9. Kelvin Lewis

Kelvin Lewis New Member

Thankyou for that
    Last night it reverted to type and malfunctioned, i think i will have to change them away from the PIR model