Garden floods

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Feb 26, 2010.

1. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

I have an area of my garden that fllods after heavy rain. I would like to put in a land drain and run it to the combined surface/waste drain that is about 5 metres away.

What I am unsure about is the best way, that is simple and cheap, to run the land drain into the existing drain.

There is no manhole nearby that I could have ran it into.

Thanks.

2. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Any ideas lads?

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

could be wrong but dont think your allowed to

i think you either have to airiate the grass or build a soakaway!!

big all

4. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

I dont fancy a soakaway as the subsoil is clay and it will only act as a well. I believe the clay is metres thick.

5. www.draindomain.com

www.draindomain.com New Member

The water companies are not keen on land drainage being tapped into systems that pass through sewage treatment works because of the unknown volume of water involved.

It does happen though and people have been known to install a silt trap prior to the connection onto the existing system, but i of course could not condone such goings on.

If you have a few quid spare there are contractors who will sink a pile through the clay cap and into a better ground below before filling the pile with gravel.

6. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Thanks for that. What is a silt trap and how could I actually break into the drain, and what would I join to the drain with?

Thanks.

7. manassa

manassa New Member

You would need a land drain to the silt trap,then a 100mm underground pipe to a new junction in the existing pipe.