Garden floods

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonynoarm, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. tonynoarm

    tonynoarm New Member

    I have an area of my garden that fllods after heavy rain. I would like to put in a land drain and run it to the combined surface/waste drain that is about 5 metres away.

    What I am unsure about is the best way, that is simple and cheap, to run the land drain into the existing drain.

    There is no manhole nearby that I could have ran it into.

  2. tonynoarm

    tonynoarm New Member

    Any ideas lads?
  3. big all

    big all Screwfix Select

    could be wrong but dont think your allowed to

    i think you either have to airiate the grass or build a soakaway!!

    big all
  4. tonynoarm

    tonynoarm New Member

    I dont fancy a soakaway as the subsoil is clay and it will only act as a well. I believe the clay is metres thick.
  5. New Member

    The water companies are not keen on land drainage being tapped into systems that pass through sewage treatment works because of the unknown volume of water involved.

    It does happen though and people have been known to install a silt trap prior to the connection onto the existing system, but i of course could not condone such goings on.

    If you have a few quid spare there are contractors who will sink a pile through the clay cap and into a better ground below before filling the pile with gravel.
  6. tonynoarm

    tonynoarm New Member

    Thanks for that. What is a silt trap and how could I actually break into the drain, and what would I join to the drain with?

  7. manassa

    manassa New Member

    You would need a land drain to the silt trap,then a 100mm underground pipe to a new junction in the existing pipe.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice