Garden lighting - what kind of cable should I use ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tph1, Aug 10, 2005.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

Having my small back yard landscaped soon, and I plan to put some outdoor low level lights in the final design. As the gardener isn't an electrician, I was thinking of putting some kind of duct under where the flags are going, so I don't have to disturb any completed pathways later. (When the electrician comes to fit the lights, breakers etc).

I have been told that rather than put a duct in (so I can draw any future power cables to the light positions), I am better off burying some armoured cable.

If this is the case, can someone recommend where I can buy approx 5m of this cable, and what type I should be using to power a few (ie 3-4) standard outdoor garden uplighters.

Many thanks

2. Buy steel wire armour @ B+Q or local wholesaler!! Run a cokuple of ducts @ at same time (Might be usefull in the future)

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Use 2.5mm2 3-core and leave generous amounts sticking out of the ground where you want the lights to be located. Think about how you are going to swith them and where you want the supply taking from! This will affect cable routes. Get your sparky in now to advise you or you might bury it in the wrong place :( You will need to visit a proper electrical wholesalers to get best price as the sheds will rip you off. Bury it at least 500mm deep.

UP

4. tph1

tph1 Member

Thanks guys... you have restored my faith in this forum!

Was expecting at least one tedious d*head to reply with "depends what lights you are using", "what type of ground you are burying it in", "what day of the week are you fixing the lights", "what colour panties the missus has got on" etc etc

5. steve CF

steve CF New Member

"what colour panties
    the missus has got on" etc etc

i think that is vital information that needs to be known

6. johnhififan

johnhififan New Member

Theyre white!, lol

7. steve CF

steve CF New Member

they were red last night

8. "what type of ground your burying it in"

I'll have to remember that one for the next diy'er (Dont forget part p)

9. Electro-tech

Electro-tech New Member

Where the flags are going, you could have a light on each flagpole.