Garden Office - Timber Frame Construction Techniques

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by JesseB, Aug 5, 2008.

1. JesseB

JesseB New Member

I am about to build a small garden office (8ft*8ft) and was looking for some advice re building methods. Any help/comments greatly appreciated.
    Flooring
    I am going to build a deck frame so I can raise the building off the ground. Base will be 18mm OSB on 4*2 treated joists. Below the OSB some kind of insulation. After that I'll lay a wooden/laminate floor, possibly underfloor electric heating.
    -- Should I add a layer of Damp Proof Membrane between the joists and the OSB board?
    -- Should I add building paper on the side nearest the earth (below the insulation)?
    Walls
    Timber Frame construction. T&G Cladding, building paper, 70mm*43mm Joists, insulation, T&G inside to finish.
    -- Is there any advantage in 'skinning' with the walls like of a 10mm ply/osb under the cladding?
    -- Do I need a vapour layer on the inside? I've been looking at the likes of the "Breather Foil for Timber Frame" or the Airtec Double Inuslation.
    -- Anyone use this stuff before - http://www.superfoil.co.uk/SF19.html?
    Roofing
    I'm going to use Felt shingles on 12mm OSB.
    -- Do I need to add any other damproofing/ membrane?
    Windows/Doors
    I picked up a couple of 3*4 maghonany windows second hand. I'm looking to pickup a couple of french doors off ebay
    -- Is there any huge advantage in buying a door frame (48") rather than just building a frame using 4*2's?

Thanks in advance for any help. Andy

2. dual193

dual193 New Member

Sounds like you have it all covered.. I usually have a good roof overhang to keep most of the weather off the timber cladding it helps with the weathering.. I always build the walls in sections and bolt / screw them together..