Garden Pond Electrics

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dlonglegs, Nov 20, 2009.

1. dlonglegs

dlonglegs New Member

During my too enthusiastic pruning of pond plants before the winter I "pruned" the LV cable that runs to my mister unit. (That's a device which generates a mist effect as a decorative feature)
    I have to repair the cable as I cannot get into the mister unit to do a complete rewire. It is factory sealed with no means of access.
    The remade joint will be under water, though I can get it onto dry land to do the repair.
    I can purchase an underwater plug/socket for about £15, but I wondered, as it is low voltage, if I did a soldered repair, & taped up the joint (which I realise would not be waterproof) this would suffice?
    Your advice & suggestions for alternative would be appreciated.

2. the sparks

the sparks New Member

buy the correct equipment and make sure it is suitable for submersion (not just weather proof).

ELV may be a safe touch voltage but the cables will still need to carry a current and a higher current at that to achieve the power requirement than if it were 230V...so do it properly.

Joints on ELV circuits still need to comply with BS7671.

3. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

You could use glue lined heatshrink tubing to waterproof your repair. try Maplin.

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I suppose you mean ELV, Daddy, and not LV?

In which case a smooth-soldered (and staggered) joint covered by a decent heatshink sleeve would be more than adequate for an underwater repair.

Brush up on your pruning skills next time......

Lucia.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't reckon a heatshrink joint would be any good under water..@ whatever voltage.

6. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

What do you imagine might happen, JP?

x

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Water encroachment Lucia..I would think by a capillary action.

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

And then?

x

9. Wink McAndrew

Wink McAndrew New Member

"And then?"

His koi carp would be spinning round faster then those protons in the LHC in Switzerland. Or,, hey presto,, nourishing fish soup.
    ;-);-);-)

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Joints must conform to the relevant reg (which reg I do not know)..thus whatever type of joint it is it must not be able to have the conductor/s being in direct contact with water.

Thus it might be ELV or SELV or whatever voltage, there is no differentiation between a say ELV joint and say a joint capable of carrying 240v..water ingress protection must be able to be maintained at whatever voltage..thus the proper IP protection must be deployed for the purpose.

In this case it is a submerged joint and the correct method of maintaining water tightness must be observed, and indeed deployed.

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

A 12V SELV, pair of staggered and soldered joints wouldn't suffer by being being immersed in dirty water - even if they were <u>uninsulated.</u>

Try it.

Lucia.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nope.

I concur with TS on this one.

13. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

sorry lap dog but the great big twot frem grip gets my vote

cheers

14. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

How comforting it is to have the vote of mr sillyarse....

15. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

As its only 12V then it wont have the "pushing power" to create a short in water. If you submerse a battery in water, nothing happens.

BTW did you know that no matter how big a battery is made a singl cell is no bigger than 1.5V. Or if lithium 3V, thats why lithium is lighter, less cells, probably lighter materials too.

16. idontlikeit

idontlikeit New Member

you may take comfort in me agreeing with you to Lucia

17. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Indeed I do, dear, since you haven't be beastly to me.....

.... yet.

Lucia x

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Agreeing with what?

Goodness me some electrical practice is rough to say the least.

19. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

In which case a smooth-soldered (and staggered)
    joint covered by a decent heatshink sleeve would be
    more than adequate for an underwater repair.

JP, you worry too much. This isn't a common occurence in the industry for goodness' sake.

It's certainly true that all ELV connections need to be properly enclosed, because a loose/arcing connection could start a fire. But here we're talking about an underwater ELV repair, and I've never heard of a fish pond bursting into flames........ Have you?

Try this, dear: Connect a pair of jump leads to your 12V car battery, then immerse the ends in a bucket of water 10mm apart from each other.

Let me know how you get on with that........

Lucia.

20. the sparks

the sparks New Member

what'll happen if you stick the jump leads in your mouth? gotta be worth a try...