Garden Power Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tonyo, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Tonyo

Tonyo New Member

Firstly, I'm not an electrician but I have rewired three houses and had them passed. I've just had a break-in on my motorhome parked in a side-bay on my drive so am having an alarm fitted. My insurer will give a discount for the alarm but it's conditional on the alarm always being on when the van is parked. This entails running a lead from my garage to the hook-up on the van to ensure the leisure battery doesn't run flat. I'd like to install a power socket adjacent to the parking bay but would like some advice please. I propose using an RCD in the garage and running a cable under the lawn to a post in the parking bay.
    1. What cable should I use?
    2. What is the best protection for the cable underground?
    3. I'll use a storm-proof box but any suggestions for enclosing/disguising it?
    4. What is the minimum depth for the cable?

Thanks

TonyO

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

SWA needs no additional protection when buried. Warning tape should be used above it. There is no minimum depth, the reg states "at a depth to avoid accidental damage" or words to this effect, but 450mm is accepted as standard.

You need to segregate any PME earthing when providing a hookup point for a touring van. The electricity ESQCR regs prohib its use to supply such vehicles.

Have a look at Rolecs wall pods: http://www.rolecserv.com/wallpod these could be wall or post mounted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    FatHands likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it's going under the lawn you need swa and minimum depth 300mm (450 would be better)

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Conclusive proof that Part P is a total waste of time.

5. daver34

daver34 Member

He may have used council or a company to inspect & test his work, does he have to prove that to you or anyone else?,before asking for help.

Sean_ork likes this.
  6. Tonyo

Tonyo New Member

The three houses I wired were mine or my family's and they were inspected and tested by the electricity board or a part-P electrician who received a fee.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Tonyo. I am interested in the signing off aspect of Part P by the Local Authority. How did you go about doing this please because I am very sceptical as to the procedure being followed by the LABCs.
    • How much did they charge you for signing off your work?
    • How many times did they visit to check progress?
    Many thanks for your time

Regards

8. Tonyo

Tonyo New Member

Hi unphased,
    The last time was in 2004 and I think it was about £180. I didn't contact the company until the work was complete and the electrician was here for about 2 hours. I told him I wasn't 100% clear on earthing and asked him to check it in particular. I live in a bungalow but I'd converted the loft and installed separate circuits for power and light upstairs. He pointed out two faults which I rectified when he was here. (1) When installing a shaver point/light downstairs I'd used a junction box to tap into the upstairs circuit for convenience because the cable ran immediately above the shaver location. (2) I'd wired the switch for an electric shower upside down. He commented that my work showed good practice and left saying I'd receive the certificate shortly.
    I then had a letter from his boss saying he couldn't pass it until some minor earthing points had been sorted and I'd insulated all the ceiling lights. I was annoyed that the electrician hadn't mentioned the earthing to me (especially since I'd given him a tenner for a drink) but soon put that right with advice from a Russian electrician to whom my wife was teaching English in a local night class. The ceiling lights were double insulated so I phoned the manufacturer (Ring?) who told me the electrician was wrong. The electrician did another check and I received my certificate.
    In my first rewire in my son's house in London I had an electrician install a new consumer unit before I rewired and when the electricity board inspected my work they said the earth to the gas pipe was connected on the wrong side but later conceded that the incoming pipe had been connected to the far side of the meter so the earthing was correct. The other fault was a lack of grommets but that was soon resolved.
    Hope this helps and keep up the good work.
    Tonyo

FatHands likes this.
  9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Many thanks for your reply, Tonyo. As I suspected the LABC aren't following the correct procedures gauging from what you said. What is supposed to happen and what actually happens are poles apart. :rolleyes:
    like building and construction work, the LABC is supposed to inspect the work at different stages, typicaly first-fix, 2nd-fix and final inspection to test and sign off. What they actually do is appoint an electrician to just inspect at the end which doesn't give him any opportunity to see how wiring has been routed. I am convinced that they also have their little "clubs" where they use sparks who are specifically chosen and kept onboard. They deny this practice but I know it goes on. In actual fact there are many things about Part P that are mishandled. Its nothing to do with you, btw, I am just saying. ;) I have submitted a paper giving evidence to the DCLG select committee expressing my views, and so are several others (I hope), to draw attention to the shortcomings of the LABC and all the Part P misgivings from the coal face where it all matters.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

FatHands likes this.
  10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey UP, unless anything has changed significantly don't forget that the LAB can do anything they like to issue the completion cert as the law doesn't specifically say the work HAS to be done to 7671. It sounds like Tonyo has had his work passed with any kind of EIC being issued at all...