Garden raised bed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Chris_ach, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Hi All.

I made the below bedder, but then thought I'd add slatted shelving along the base for a log store.

It's too heavy to now lift, to get screws in back posts. I thought corner brackets might be a solution which will still be fiddly getting underneath it, to get to middle back posts.

Just seeing if anyone has any alternative ideas, before I get myself stuck underneath the unit

2. dray

dray Screwfix Select

No pictures showing which is a shame as really interested to see this project.

3. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Rather than lift it up and out, I left wood slightly longer than measurement, to bash into place.

I didn't use any screws on the three batons on floor as not moving anytime soon.

I then screwed in the slats, used chicken wire stapled down, and added a plastic membrane layer, to ensure no moisture comes in from the bottom during winter.

Think I've now reached a point I'm happy with it to call it finished. Unless anyone has any suggestions to take it a step further.

Attached Files:

dray likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not ideal having logs stored so close to the ground, likely to get damp or rain water splashing up

If you’ve used a solid polythene membrane (?) underneath logs, then any water that gets in, won’t be able to escape

Also, top bed, any drainage and if so, where does it drain to ?? (Straight into logs) ?? :(

Well seasoned logs also need airflow during storage

Sorry to appear so negative towards your project, not my intention mate

Chris_ach likes this.
  5. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

No worries at all. Its all a learning journey for me.

There is no drainage in flower bed section. All lined.

I was worried logs will be too low. I had hoped the lining would stop any damp from the floor reaching the logs, but obviously they will be exposed to rain during winter.

I may just have to test the moisture levels during winter, and it maybe I just use them outdoors on a fire rather than on indoor stove / burner.

Failing that, will end up being just a decrotive feature

Thx for feedback.

6. Your need drainage in the trough or it will end up a bog garden

7. Chris_ach

Chris_ach Member

Hi James.

Thx for the feedback.

What would you suggest would be best way to create a drainage system based on what you see is a current state of play?

Thx