Garden Room wiring / prescribed zones

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Stuubacca, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Stuubacca

Stuubacca New Member

Hi gang

Preface, I am not an electrician, nor am I trying to do any electrical work. I have seen the first fix on a garden room and Spidey senses are tingling.

Are prescribed zones/safe zones still applicable to a garden room/office.
    I believe the intention is that it will have SWA run to it, with a small CU.
    Circuits for lighting and sockets.

What irks me is that this first fix was done under supervision of an electrician.

Walls are 45mm thick timber, will be covered by 100mm celotex and 12mm ply. IMG-20201230-WA0003.jpg IMG-20201230-WA0005.jpg IMG-20201230-WA0004.jpg

Is this right?

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Is they’re covered with 100mm celotex, they’re deeper than 50mm, so zones DO NOT apply. Cables could be diagonal. Its still not a neat install, and not how I would do it, but perfectly compliant.

in saying that, it’s difficult to suggest they’re deeper than 50mm from outside the building, but guidance notes only include internal walls when referring to the reverse side of the wall.

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Not particularly neat and tidy, could be better.

What would you like to see?

4. Stuubacca

Stuubacca New Member

I was surprised that the horizontal runs were at floor level, not in line with the sockets. Also the runs near the ceiling were too low, I thought.

I know the next step in the build process is to add 100mm insulation and then 12mm ply, screwed through to the external wall.
    Guess I'll be keeping a close eye on the photos when putting those screws in :)

Thanks for your help with this:D

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

What I would do, now, is retake those photos with a tape measure or some other kind of rule in place so you have a record of where they are for future drilling operations!

Cando